He's been dominating New York real estate for years. Then he took over reality television. And now he's looking to rival his alma mater -- the Wharton School.

On Aug. 4, Donald Trump filed an application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to secure a trademark for the "Trump University" name.

According to the application filed with the USPTO, the university will provide "educational services in the nature of conducting online courses in the fields of business and real estate."

However, this university will not follow the traditional college layout with classrooms and dormitories. Trump has moved past that and instead plans to create an online business school.

It is not certain whether Trump will play the role of dean or hold any other leadership position in the university.

According to Joyce Smith, executive director of the National Association for College Admission Counseling, there are some obstacles Trump will have to overcome.

"There's a traditionalism where schools want students to be face-to-face with their professors," Smith said.

However, when students do choose an online university, it is rarely for the quality of education, but for other reasons.

"Students tend to prefer online universities because they are looking for convenience and they have higher admission rates."

Along with the new university, Trump has plans to design a menswear collection. This fashion collection is mainly geared toward suits.

Although Trump is currently struggling to keep his casino, Trump Hotels and Casino Resorts, from closing -- it recently filed for bankruptcy -- Forbes Magazine reported his net worth at $2.5 billion.

Some online universities have had trouble establishing their legitimacy. Phoenix University, perhaps the highest-profile online university, was recently questioned by the Federal Trade Commission about the school's quality of education, and whether students are getting their tuition's worth.