College juniors Jenn Choi (left) and Jason Levine (center), and Wharton junior Yelena Gershman discuss their qualifications to be UA chair.[Tory Dowd/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

This past week has seen ample turnover in various student government groups, with the Undergraduate Assembly, the Nominations and Elections Committee and the Graduate and Professional Student Assembly electing new executive boards for the upcoming 2004-2005 season.

College junior Jason Levine was chosen to lead the UA as chairman, with Wharton sophomore and future UA Vice Chairwoman Cynthia Wong by his side.

Wong was elected following a precedent-setting closed-door session, during which UA members discussed the candidates vying for the position of vice chairman privately for over an hour. Previously, UA members had said this tactic would not be used this year.

With a speech that incorporated jokes about his height and name -- which is very similar to that of outgoing UA Chairman Jason Levy -- Levine gained the support of the majority of UA members eligible to vote in the election.

"I see our body not just as innovators, but as facilitators," he said, vowing to ensure that all projects would reach implementation.

Expressing his excitement and faith in the incoming UA board, Levine highlighted his expectations for the coming year.

"We have the resources and the infrastructure to really be an effective and influential representative body," he said.

Levy said he was confident in the body's choice for chairman.

Levine "possesses all the right skills and traits to lead the body effectively both internally and externally," the College senior said.

"I'm certain that Jason will take the progress we've made this year and use it as a launching pad to lead the UA to greatness," Levy said, pledging his full support behind the entire newly elected executive board.

With five candidates running for the position of vice chairman, many UA members felt that it was necessary to take advantage of a recently instituted section of their constitution, which provides for a closed-door session to discuss candidates in private.

"I think we need more information to make the best decision," College junior and incoming UA member Klair Spiller said in defense of the secret session.

Still, some members were hesitant to engage in the closed-door session, arguing that it promotes an aura of exclusivity which is often associated with the UA.

"I don't think we have anything to gain" from going behind closed doors, College sophomore and UA member Wesley Nakamura said, stressing that the UA "has to reach out to the community."

Others criticized the UA's move as hypocritical since many UA members had stated that the constitutional amendment would not go into effect for this election year.

"The UA made a promise to the student body ... and they clearly broke that promise," said College senior and former UA member Kirsten Grubbs.

Less controversy seemed to mark the NEC and GAPSA elections -- with College junior Eli Schlam and Graduate School of Education student Simi Wilhelm elected as organization chairs, respectively.

"We're going to continue to improve the way we run elections, nominations and education," Schlam said.

Outgoing NEC chairwoman and College senior Melissa La Vigne described her successors as extremely balanced.

"There's a lot of different perspectives and mentalities on the board," she said.

As for GAPSA, Wilhelm said she will be focusing on "establish[ing] a strong relationship between graduate students and the new president" next year.

Other elected UA Executive Board members include Wharton sophomore Sean Walker as treasurer, College sophomore Amy Gartenlaub as secretary and College sophomore Rachel Fersh as University Council Steering representative.

The NEC selected College sophomore Eli Hoffman for the position of vice chairman of elections, College junior Elena Hassan and College freshman Jenna Metson as co-vice chairwomen of nominations, College freshman Julie Adler as vice chairwoman of education, College sophomore Joe Payne as vice chairman of publicity and College freshman Jackie Merzer as secretary and treasurer.

GAPSA choose Annenberg student Lela Jacobsohn as first vice chairwoman, Law student Todd Curry as treasurer and Engineering graduate student Alice Chou as secretary.