College junior Jenn Choi, Wharton junior Yelena Gershman and College junior Jason Levine have spent the past year combining forces as members of the Undergraduate Assembly Executive Board, but tonight, they will face off as opponents.

All three are running for chair of the 2004-2005 UA -- a position which will be determined during an open transition meeting at 8 p.m. tonight in Houston Hall. The 25 newly elected members of the UA will vote on the positions of chairman, vice chairman, treasurer, secretary and University Council Steering representative.

Pledging their support to many of the same issues, Choi, Gershman and Levine -- who will all be entering their fourth year on the body -- have focused their campaign platforms on improving the UA's accessibility to the student body, following through with proposals and valuing constituent opinions.

Choi hopes to foster an increased sense of accountability from UA members and believes her self-described leadership style -- her "ability to command the respect of the body" -- will increase the UA's efficiency and promote professionalism.

"We really need to be able to draw the distinction of when do you hold your poise and when do you relax," she said.

The other candidates seemed to exhibit different leadership characteristics, with Levine describing himself as "articulate and opinionated" and Gershman highlighting her interest in integrating all members into the body.

"My strength really lies in being open and available and not being a dictator," Gershman said.

Levine also believes he can motivate UA members.

"I think it's essential that people respect what you do and who you are," he said.

Gershman, who currently serves as the UA secretary, wants the body to focus its energy on "tangible projects and things the students actually care about."

Through increased communication between student groups, Gershman hopes to present "a united student body with a united voice and a united agenda" to University President-elect Amy Gutmann.

After serving as the University Council Steering representative this past year, Levine said he feels that the ties he has formed with other campus leaders will help to make the UA more successful.

"The relationships I have built with the Faculty Senate, the graduate student leadership and top administrators ... have really evolved the UA into what it should be," he said.

Choi's presence has also been felt by the body across her tenure, specifically during the time she spent as treasurer this past year.

"I've had the experience of leading the body," Choi said of her extensive budgeting work. She also serves on the executive board of the Student Activities Council.