Alternative rock groups Reel Big Fish and The Working Title will join Wyclef Jean for this year's Spring Fling concert on April 16.

Organized by the Social Planning and Events Committee, the concert will be held for the second year at Franklin Field.

"We wanted to create a balance," said SPEC Concerts Co-Director and Wharton senior Erica Lock of the decision to book the two rock bands as opening acts for the hip hop artist.

"We usually try to create a balance between the rock and hip hop genres," she said. "So since Wyclef Jean is the headliner, we were looking to have rock acts balance him as the opening acts."

Reel Big Fish is best known for their 1997 radio hit entitled Sell Out. The Huntington Beach, Calif., natives are popular for their highly energetic live acts.

"Reel Big Fish was on the list" of desired groups, Lock said. "We were looking for a very upbeat rock act that would appeal to the larger college community and would go along with the Spring Fling atmosphere."

Alongside Reel Big Fish will be The Working Title. This young up-and-coming band has yet to release its first full-length CD, and its members range in age from 19 to 22 years old.

"Hopefully, people will say, 'I saw them at Penn before they got really big,'" Lock said.

While SPEC organizers said that they are excited about the two bands performing at this year's Spring Fling, many students are unfamiliar with the groups.

"I haven't heard of those two bands," Wharton sophomore Daniel Kline said. "But I'm really excited for Wyclef. Honestly, I'll probably show up a little late, so I don't care about the openers too much. ... I'm much more into hip hop."

College sophomore Ashley Johnson said that while she had not heard of The Working Title, she was familiar with Reel Big Fish.

"I'm excited, though," Johnson said. "I think it's good that SPEC gives a nice variety. They're not just having one type of music."

"I think by having these bands on campus, the concert will appeal to a wider variety of students," she added.

Tickets for the show are now available, and a limited number of floor passes will be offered on an online lottery.