Responsible for leading the economic development efforts for the City of Philadelphia, Penn Law alumna Stephanie Naidoff has a lot of work ahead of her.

Calling her a "proven leader who will spearhead our efforts to focus on strategic economic growth," Mayor John Street announced yesterday that Naidoff will take over as the city's new commerce director in two weeks.

As commerce director, Naidoff will lead a staff of 70 people and direct the efforts of five city offices, including the divisions of business, aviation and arts and culture.

"I have long dreamed about [doing this] and I'm very eager to work with the mayor," Naidoff said.

The 62-year-old Philadelphia native inherits the position of commerce director at a crucial time in the city's history. On Wednesday, Comcast Corporation -- Center City's biggest employer -- announced a bid to buy the Disney Corporation for $66 billion. The merger would create the world's largest media company.

According to Naidoff, the merger, if completed, could have major effects on the city's economy.

"Well, I don't know how realistic [the merger] is, and Ican't assess that," Naidoff said. But "it is a magnificently bold initiative. If they succeed, there's real potential for huge economic growth."

Naidoff has pledged that she will not simply stand by and wait for the jobs to come to Philadelphia. Her planning, she said, is well under way.

"I think one overriding goal is that we need to add people and jobs to Philadelphia and the region," Naidoff said.

Specifically, there are three main areas that she intends to address in her quest to reinvigorate the local economy strengthen city ties with the business community, develop an economic business strategy and improve regional cooperation.

"We need to develop a very dynamic business strategy, an economic blueprint. Iwant to bring together all the good thinkers in the area and develop ... a vibrant economic strategy," she said.

Naidoff will be replacing former Commerce Director Jim Cuorato, who is moving to the private sector.

Before joining the public sector, Naidoff spent over 30 years as a corporate lawyer. She has also served as vice counsel for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and as vice president of Thomas Jefferson University.

Additionally, she was the founding president of the Kimmel Center, where she turned the city's 20-year dream into the crown jewel of Philadelphia's cultural district. By all measures, the Kimmel Center has become a fabulously successful regional performing arts center, due in great part to the record $265 million capital fundraising campaign by Naidoff.

"Stephanie Naidoff is well known and highly respected in the Greater Philadelphia business community for her abilities to attract resources and to get things done, as evidenced by her extraordinary accomplishments as president of theKimmel Center for Performing Arts," said Mark Schweiker, former Pennsylvania governor and president and CEO of the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce.

Naidoff attributes much of her civic and cultural success to her experiences at Penn Law School.

"It was wonderful, and in many ways, Ithink it's the foundation of most of my professional career," Nadoff said of the time she spent on Penn's campus. "Not only because Ipractice law, but [because] it gave me a very pronounced sense of serving our community and helping to make the community better."

Naidoff remains optimistic about Philadelphia's economic prospects.

"I think there are lots of things right about Philly. It's a world-class city. I think it's just a question of galvanizing all the forces and all the efforts going on to attract and retain business," Naidoff said.