GET-UP members and supporters remain in motion during their picketing yesterday because standing still can be considered blocking a walkway.[Avi Berkowitz/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Hundreds of Graduate Employees Together-University of Pennsylvania members and supporters kicked off the first half of a two-day strike yesterday.

Arranged in groups of five to 20, picketers were located at six sites across campus yesterday.

Protesters picketed at key campus spots such as 34th and Walnut streets and the bridge over 38th Street, holding signs and chanting various slogans, such as "Count the votes." Honking from drivers passing by could also be heard in response to the "Honk for Union" signs that were on display.

Designated captains were at each picketing location, along with one or two supporters handing out flyers that stated, "Welcome to PennMart," in reference to the Walmart corporate chain.

"It's going great," fourth-year History Ph.D. candidate Katie Paugh said. "We've got some people making noise. Hopefully we'll attract visibility."

But while those out in protest were pleased with the day's events, many others on campus were hardly impressed.

College freshman Maayan Dauber said that she was not affected at all by the strike.

"The showing looked pretty weak," Dauber said. "There were like five of them standing around in a circle, singing a song, and I'm actually a firm believer in their cause."

College sophomore Modessa Jacobs held similar sentiments.

"The strike really didn't affect me at all," Jacobs said. "Since they weren't located centrally on the Walk, I barely saw them."

To ensure maintenance of the peace, Members of the Civil Affairs Unit of the Philadelphia Police Department were present.

Captain William Fisher of the Philadelphia Police Department said that those on strike were "peaceful, and they are expressing their First Amendment rights."

GET-UP supporters included various outside unions, such as the Coalition of Labor Union Women and Temple University Graduate Students Association, along with some undergraduate and faculty support.

English professor Peter Stallybrass was out on Locust Walk throughout the day to give his support to the strike and at one point gave a speech to those walking the line.

"I just gave a little two-minute address to those picketers out there, and I was just responding to the enormously good feeling that was out there," Stallybrass said.

GET-UP members said that they were very pleased with the showing and that they expect more supporters out today.

"People have been totally supportive," said GET-UP Mass Action Chairman Joe Drury.

Drury said the events of the day were peaceful, with no confrontation or disruptions and added that the day was all about "big love."

GET-UP members and supporters will continue to maintain picket lines today in response to the one-year anniversary of last year's election to unionize, which was held by the National Labor Relations Board.

Since the election, the votes have remained uncounted due to a legal appeal by the University saying that graduate students are not employees and therefore do not have the right to unionize.

The University has maintained that it will not change its stance on the issue.

"While we respect the right of these students to voice their opinions, we are very discouraged by their tactics," University Provost Robert Barchi said. "Let me be very clear: The University of Pennsylvania does not oppose unionization. ... However, we are equally committed to uphold[ing] the principles that our graduate students are students and not employees."

"Our grad students are here to receive an education and training to become the next generation of university scholars," Barchi said. "We view teaching and research as a central component to their Ph.D. education and as requirements for their Ph.D. degrees."