Now that the University has announced its next president, speculation about current President Judith Rodin's future has begun to take center stage.

Much of the speculation centers on the possibility of her entering politics, but Rodin says she currently has no such intentions.

"There's been talk that she would be a very good candidate" to run on the Democratic ticket against Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) in the 2006 election, said Neil Oxman, a media campaign consultant and president of The Campaign Group, Inc.

"Political talk among political people" has included Rodin's name among approximately 10 or 15 potential candidates in the race, Oxman said.

"She would make a very powerful candidate," said Christopher Patusky, deputy director and chief operating officer at the Fels Institute of Government.

"She has a reputation for excellent performance as president of Penn [and] tremendous support from opinion leaders in the region," he added. "She has proven to be an effective fundraiser," something that could help her raise funds for a political campaign.

Still, Rodin said in an e-mail statement that "I have no plans to run for political office."

Indeed, Mark Hughes, senior fellow in the Robert A. Fox Leadership Program, called a Rodin bid for Senate "wishful thinking" among some.

"The idea is exciting, and she in many ways would be an attractive candidate," Democratic political strategist Ken Snyder said.

However, since the Senate election is a statewide race, "Dr. Rodin would have an uphill climb," Hughes said.

Snyder said she would have to work to increase her name recognition across the state.

He called her "a proven leader, a committed and dedicated public servant," but added that perhaps she would be more suited to an executive position -- such as mayor -- as opposed to a legislative office.

"I'm not sure how happy she'd be ... in a sense taking a step down from top-notch Ivy League institution ... to one of 100 members of a political body," said Jeff Jubelirer, a principal in the political advocacy group Ceisler Jubelirer.

Still, "I do think she will be involved in the political process," possibly working for or with Gov. Ed Rendell, he added.

Rendell spokesman Chuck Ardo said, "You never say never," in response to the possibility of Rodin and Rendell working together.

"The governor has the highest regard for President Rodin," Ardo added.

Even the Penn College Democrats say it is too early to speculate on the 2006 election, focusing instead on trying to defeat Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) in the 2004 general election.

However, they have considered the possibility as well.

"President Rodin would make a great contest for Rick Santorum, who's been about as backwards as anyone in the Senate," said Rich Eisenberg, president of the College Democrats.

Jubelirer suggested the possibility of Rodin being appointed to an executive position in the next president's cabinet, if a Democrat wins the White House.

"It's easy to imagine her in an appointed position" of some kind, Hughes said.

Oxman said it is too early to tell who the candidates in the 2006 race for senator will be, and that announcements would likely be made in the summer of 2005.