If Judith Rodin were the head of a major corporation, her salary wouldn't turn many heads. She would likely make millions of dollars in base salary in addition to a hefty expense account and many corporate perks.

Such is usually not the case in higher education. It is rare to see the salary of a college president approach the million dollar plateau, even after years of dedicated service.

But Rodin is not an ordinary president. Under her stewardship, Penn has improved in virtually every area, skyrocketing to a top 5 ranking and shedding the reputation as the "party Ivy."

In many ways, Rodin has served as the CEO of this university as well, headlining numerous fundraising campaigns and playing a large role in issues traditionally reserved for the business side of the University.

It should come as no surprise, then, that the Board of Trustees has compensated Rodin as if she were running a major corporation. Rodin's latest reported salary package falls just short of $900,000, which will likely make her the highest paid sitting president in the country once again.

The fact of the matter is that Rodin has earned her paycheck. She is a major figure not only in higher education, but in Philadelphia and Harrisburg as well. She is the second-longest sitting president in the Ivy League, and with one strategic plan under her belt and another ready for implementation, she has done more than her share to prepare Penn for the future.

But this year, Rodin's salary plays another important role. By rewarding Rodin so generously for her hard work, the Trustees have shown that they are willing to spend whatever is necessary to attract and retain a qualified leader for the University. This can only help Penn when it comes time to recruit a new president.

Judith Rodin has served this university well for nearly a decade, and the compensation she receives for her work is well deserved. The Trustees have rewarded her appropriately, and we can only hope that candidates for Penn's presidential vacancy take note of the University's willingness to shell out top dollars for strong leaders.