Roger Reid was apprehended for point-of-gun robbery of the Freshgrocer during the early morning of May 7, according to University Police.

Reid, a 40-year-old male, allegedly entered the manager's office on the main floor of the grocery store, located at the corner of 40th and Walnut streets, at approximately 4:21 a.m. and displayed a silver revolver, according to University Police Deputy Chief of Investigations Bill Danks. He then fled the store with a bag into which the manager had apparently been transferring an undetermined amount of money in cash and checks at the time, Danks said.

A Freshgrocer employee followed Reid south on 40th Street, and a security officer posted in the store called the University Police. Officers arrived on the scene and, with the employee's guidance, located Reid hiding under a vehicle on the 4000 block of Locust Street.

Police apprehended him and, according to Detective Supervisor Frank DeMeo, located the bag containing money on the street nearby. They were also able to recover the revolver he had been carrying.

No injuries were reported, police said.

"Everyone did exactly what they should do," Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said.

"A security officer called Penn Police. Some other people kept an eye on the guy from a distance, keeping the direction going and Penn Police were able to make an apprehension and positive identification on the suspect."

Freshgrocer store manager Ross Delromano would not comment on the robbery, citing security concerns as the reason.

While the Freshgrocer has had several incidents involving retail theft since its opening in April of 2001, this is the first point-of-gun robbery that Danks knew of that has occurred at the supermarket.

Rush said that crimes of this type are the "price of bringing free enterprise to the campus," referring also to the two robberies of Commerce Bank, located at 3731 Walnut Street, that occurred on April 21 and 25.

"But nevertheless, it's a very big concern for us because all of our students use both of these entities," Rush said.