Not long ago, Penn students were scared to go beyond 40th Street. Due to its high crime rate, West Philadelphia had gained a reputation as an unsafe area, and that distinction proved to be a tremendous drawback for Penn, especially in attracting students. Today, with more and more students choosing to live in off-campus houses and venturing deep into West Philadelphia neighborhoods, this distinction is a thing of the past -- and rightfully so. For the fourth consecutive year, the rate of major crime in West Philadelphia has decreased significantly. This past year saw an overall decline of 19 percent, with the number of homicides cut in half and the number of residential burglaries down more than 60 percent. While some of this can be attributed to city and nationwide trends, none of this would have been possible in West Philadelphia without the work of the University Police Department and the creation of the University City District. Since its inception more than five years ago, the UCD has been a major part of what can only be described as a remarkable revitalization project. With the help of community organizations and local universities, the UCD has helped clean up the previously run-down 40th Street corridor and brought viable commercial space to an area desperately in need of an upgrade. And the University Police Department has done more than its share, making it safer for college students to roam the streets at any time of night without the fear that lingered in the recent past. Together, these two organizations have shown students, community members and tourists that there is more to Philadelphia than Center City. A crime rate that has declined four years running is one of many reasons why the University Police and the UCD should be commended for their work in West Philadelphia.