21 Fine Arts undergraduate majors had their senior thesis displayed at the Louis K. Meisel gallery in New York City. The exhibit ran from June 6th to June 19th and three pieces of art work were sold. [Courtesy of the Louis K. Meisel Gallery]

The dream that most artists have of getting their work showcased in a gallery has already come true for a group of Penn students.

From June 6th to 19th, 21 fine arts undergraduates' artwork was displayed at a New York gallery.

Entitled "2002 Senior Thesis Exhibition, Undergraduate Fine Arts, University of Pennsylvania," the exhibit showcased at the Louis K. Meisel Gallery in Soho, New York.

This was a unique and even once-in-a-lifetime chance for fine art undergraduates to have their work displayed in a prestigious gallery. Fine arts faculty and 16 of the 21 students attended the opening of the show.

Louis Meisel, a Penn parent, read in a December 2001 issue of the Weekly Pennsylvanian that the University was cutting its budget for the catalogue that documents senior fine arts theses. So Meisel decided to make his annual contribution toward specifically helping the catalogue.

In addition, Meisel generously invited the graduating senior class to show their work at one of his two galleries in New York.

"[Meisel] is known as a realist dealer, but he opened his doors wide this time," Fine Arts Undergraduate Program Director Julie Schneider said.

The 39 pieces of artwork displayed in the gallery range from traditional paintings and drawings to modern graphic and digital design. However, Schneider said that the show has more paintings than anything other pieces of work.

Meisel admitted that it was hard to gauge the public's reaction to the show, but he thought it was mostly positive.

And Schneider said that she received many compliments about the exhibition.

"I've heard lots of comments from people who were there that loved it," Schneider said.

"It has a theme of the superb caliber and diversity of the students we have," Schneider remarked. "I think [the exhibit] looks terrific. There's something about the light in these galleries -- the Meisel Gallery has hardwood floors and the art work just glows."

However, Meisel had a different read on the exhibit.

"It's a good example of what's going on in the universities today -- it's not high level, it's not low level -- it's a run-of-the-mill show. I didn't expect much," Meisel remarked.

However, Meisel is thinking about creating a consortium of galleries to display the works of undergraduates from elite fine art schools and programs.

"Twenty galleries each showing the works of about twenty artists from a school of their choice would certainly rival, and give a much broader and perhaps more interesting view, as to what is going on in the minds of the next generation of artists than the rather limited and slanted Whitney Biennials" Meisel said.

Schneider hopes that Meisel's idea will become a reality and is excited for the future.

"It's really in his court and it's really something special that comes from [Meisel]. We're delighted and we hope he offers again -- we're just keeping our fingers crossed," Schneider said.

Although Meisel donated money and lent his gallery to the Fine Arts Department, but he is not receiving any commission from the art that sells.

75 percent of the sale of a piece of work will go to the artists and 25 percent will go to funds for next year's senior fine arts students.

So far only three pieces -- all of which are in oil on paper -- by Glenn Tramantano have sold.

However, Schneider said that their clients are very iffy and Meisel commented on the difficulty of making sales in today's market.

"The art market is very sketchy to begin with. And this is the first look at artists that may be important in the future," Meisel said.

But no matter what the outcome may be for these future artists, Schneider said that they gained valuable experience from this exhibit.

"I personally was hoping to gain a little experience in the real art world, make a few connections, and get a new perspective on my art. But mostly I just wanted to enjoy it," College graduate Nicholas Kruse said.

Before the exhibit was displayed in New York, it was shown at the University's Charles Addams Gallery.