Vigilance against prejudice

To the Editor:

The weather was beautiful yesterday afternoon, so I decided to take a study break from the library.

Quickly, the pleasant ambience was quite quickly disrupted as I heard "Brother Stephen" ranting and raving about something. At first, I paid little attention. But as I headed back into Van Pelt, I heard Stephen use the Prophet Muhammad's name in ways that I will not repeat.

I was jolted and offended. As an Arab-American and Muslim student who has had much to be concerned about in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks, hearing my religion disparaged in the heart of campus was more than upsetting.

Brother Stephen brandished his American flag in one hand and the Quran in the other, preaching about an asymmetry between the two that does not exist. As an American Muslim, I submit that my religion and my nationality go hand in hand. These two features of my identity are not in conflict, or mutually exclusive. Rather, they support each other as they define who I am as a person.

I decided that the best offense against Brother Stephen was to not provide him an audience at all. Instead of getting angrier or trying to have a rational discussion with a clearly irrational person, I dismissed him and his tirade and got back to work.

But after reading Bob Warring's column Tuesday ("American Intolerance on College Green," The Daily Pennsylvanian, 2/19/02), I realize that walking away from hate and ignorance is not going to turn the tide when it comes to intolerance.

We as a community need to actively address and engage individuals like Brother Stephen who, while a sideshow here at Penn, might have a stronger effect elsewhere. All of us need to strive against those who use their own distorted views on religion as a platform to attack others, whether it be as far away as Afghanistan or as nearby as College Green.

Salem Samra

College '02