Junior Elan Levy is one of three returning starters on the Penn men's squash team who amassed nine wins en route to a 10th-place national finish last season.[Will Burhop/DP File Photo]

As the nation's top men's squash recruit, Penn freshman Rich Repetto had the world at his finger tips.

Actively sought by the likes of Trinity, Princeton and Yale -- the nation's top ranked programs -- it appeared that Repetto couldn't go wrong. Rather than opting to play for any of these schools, however, Repetto chose Penn.

And he hasn't regretted his decision.

"I was looking for a team that wanted to rise rather than going to an already established program," Repetto said. "All those schools will always get the top players. But this team really wants to get to the top again and I thought maybe I can really get it going."

Indeed, the Penn men's squash team has enjoyed marked improvement in recent years, finishing in the top 10 at last year's NCAA tournament and recording their first winning record in six years.

With recruits like Repetto, the Quakers are confident that they can continue their climb up the national rankings. Repetto is one of the team's eight freshmen.

Repetto comes from a squash-playing family, as both his father and his grandfather were active players.

However, he wasn't exactly swinging racquets in the cradle. In fact, squash didn't even become a part of his life until age seven because children weren't allowed in Resort Casino, where his dad played.

"My parents were looking for a way to keep me busy instead of the usual soccer," Repetto said. "They suggested squash, so I started playing."

Repetto would go on to join the squash circuit when he was nine, competing with some of the best squash players in the country.

On the national squash circuit, Repetto was remarkably successful, placing first in his age group at nationals from 1996-2000. His results helped him secure spots on the 1998 and 2000 U.S. Junior teams. Playing at the No. 1 position for the 2000 team, Repetto spent a month in Amsterdam and Milan -- a big reward given his love for travel.

His success, however, did not come without sacrifice. When the squash club near his home in Margate, N.J., closed during his sophomore year of high school, Repetto decided to transfer to Chestnut Hill, a private school in Philadelphia, to be closer to the squash circuit.

"I would have been coming up to Philly four times a week anyway, and I couldn't keep up with school if I had to do that," Repetto said. "So I lived with families I was friends with while I was at Chestnut Hill."

And it was at Chestnut Hill that Repetto amassed an astounding 45-0 record, helping his team to league titles each year that he was there.

Already Repetto has made an impact at Penn, both in competition -- he won each of his three matches at the No. 1 position in the Ivy Scrimmage team competition last weekend -- and in practice.

"It's nice to have someone that good in a Penn uniform," Penn senior co-captain John Griffin said. "He's the number one recruit in the country and he doesn't have a big head at all. He comes to practice every day, works really hard and really helps the other guys out."

In line with his laid-back persona, Repetto hasn't put too much pressure on himself going into the season.

"My goals are to have a good time with the team and to help everyone improve along with myself," Repetto said.

He does, however, have his sights set on the NCAA individual title, dubbing the title a lofty but achievable goal.

"There's a bunch of guys at the same level," Repetto said. "I could win it or I could end up 12th, so it's very exciting from that standpoint."

Repetto isn't the only one excited to see what he can do at the collegiate level.

"He's capable of winning every match he plays at number one," Penn coach Craig Thorpe-Clark said. "But he'll face more mature opponents, so it's going to be a tough season for him."

Having already collected just about every honor as a junior player, this season is Repetto's chance to show that he's ready to conquer new ground.