The Daily Pennsylvanian presents The Road Ahead, a new series devoted to delivering expert opinions on some of the issues that now confront us in the wake of America's renewed war on terrorism.

Too bad that it takes such a tragedy to remind us that television isn't dead.

In the era of media fragmentation and audience segmentation,ÿthere are fewer and fewer shared experiences and civic concerns. Television has evolved into a video store where no two people see the same movie at the same time.

Major disasters and certain ceremonial events change all that. They reinvigorate television to do what it does best -- better even that it did in the past, thanks to portable cameras, satellite hookups and cellular phones. In disaster, television takes over. It frames a problem, tries to give it perspective, and, for a moment, shuts out everything else, even advertising.

It takes usÿthere and now, overcoming space and time. It gives structure to the event, squelches rumor when it can, mobilizes participation when needed and counsels calm.ÿIt invites commentary from serious people. It commands the performance of presidents and kings.

In time, it will help us mourn.

Hundreds of channels suddenly collapse into the original few. MTV joins CBS. The evening news preempts the rest of the broadcast day.ÿIt makes the newspaper "extras" look laughable, and their commentary too slow.

People are given to understand that there is nothing more important to do than go home and watch television -- even radioÿfades away when there is something to see. And something to think about, and to talk about -- in person or on the Internet.

There's room for criticism, of course -- too much recycling, too much pomposity, too many unchallenged cliches ("war," "bring to justice," etc.), and, inevitably, too muchÿgratification to the perpetrators and their sympathizers. But that's for another time.

For now, there's television to thank for showing that the flag is still there.

Elihu Katz is a professor of communication.