Penn No. 4 singles player Louani Bascara was victorious in her matches against Harvard and Dartmouth last weekend. (Stefan Miltchev/DP File Photo)

A new power is emerging in the Ivy League this year. The Penn's women tennis team, which has never won an Ancient Eight title, stands atop the conference with an unblemished 5-0 mark -- two matches away from record-breaking history. With dominating triumphs over Harvard and Dartmouth, the undefeated Quakers (14-6) continued their march toward an Ivy League title last weekend. Saturday's 6-1 thrashing of nationally ranked and conference favorite Harvard (10-8 overall, 4-1 Ivy League) on the Crimson's home courts epitomized the Quakers' league dominance this season. The win also marked Penn's first victory over Harvard since 1980. Amidst heavy winds that would affect play throughout the match, the Quakers began the pivotal showdown by capturing the all-important doubles point, triumphing in two out of three matches. Whereas Louani Bascara and Shubha Srinivasan easily won, 8-3, at No. 3 doubles, the No. 1 doubles team of Rochelle Raiss and Rachel Shweky needed a tiebreaker to defeat Sanja Bajin and Sanaz Ghazal, 9-8. Penn used the momentum accompanying the doubles point win to galvanize its singles' effort. The Quakers captured five out of six singles matches in the victory. Following up their key doubles triumphs, No. 2 Srinivasan, No. 4 Bascara and No. 6 Shweky defeated their Crimson opponents in straight sets. After their teammates had already secured the victory for the Quakers, No.1 Sanela Kunovac and No. 5 Jolene Sloat each proved victorious in third set tie-breakers to decide the final score. On Sunday, the Red and Blue avoided an emotional letdown, defeating a scrappy Dartmouth (6-9, 0-4) team, 5-2. The 5-2 final score was the narrowest margin by which the Quakers have won an Ivy League contest this season. "They were clearly our toughest Ivy league opponent," Sloat said. "We knew that they were a very competitive team, in spite of their record. They gave us a battle." Using the doubles point victory, once again, to set the tone for the match, the Red and Blue captured Nos. 3-6 singles en route to victory. Each of the triumphant Quakers, No.3 Nicole Ptak, No. 4 Bascara, No. 5 Sloat and No. 6 Niki DeCou won in straight sets. With the Harvard and Dartmouth wins in hand, the Quakers now have control their own destiny in the Ivy League. Two matches remain, against Columbia (1-3) and Cornell (2-3), two of the league's lesser regarded programs. Penn's first Ivy championship seems to be within its grasp. In second place in the Ivies behind the Quakers are Yale and Harvard, each with one loss. However, the Red and Blue have already defeated each of these squads and therefore own the first tie breaker, which is head-to-head record. Penn, therefore, has the opportunity to capture the conference crown with a win over either of its opponents this weekend. Displaying the confidence that has been characteristic of the team throughout the season, the intrepid Quakers are undaunted about the potential to make history this weekend. "It's all in our hands," Sloat said. "We want the title. We'll play hard for it. And we'll get it."