Jumper Melissa MacIntyre returns to Franklin Field for the outdoor season. (Will Burhop/DP File Photo)

This weekend, the Penn women's track and field team will emerge from winter hibernation. After a three-month indoor season, the Quakers will debut their spring squad this weekend at the Quaker Invitational. The Penn squad will shift into a new gear as it heads into the third part of a year-round season. "Everyone is ready for the outdoor season," Penn assistant coach Tony Tenisci said. "This is really an opportunity for everyone to get out, do what they do and show well." The Quakers team as a whole is looking to progress and improve on the indoor season. "We've been through a lot of hardships with injuries, bad weather or whatever -- there was always something," Penn senior co-captain JaJuan Gair said. "Now we don't have any excuses. We've been training and we're ready for competition." The Quakers also hope to build upon the success they experienced in the indoor season. Eyes will be on junior thrower Yinka Orafidiya, who had an impressive indoor season that culminated in a win at the George Mason Invitational in the 20-pound weight throw. Freshman pole vaulter Caroline Rebello will also be one to watch, after a successful end to her indoor season. But the Quakers aren't indoors anymore, and they will have to prove that they can be successful out on Franklin Field. The Quakers are optimistic about improving upon last year's outdoor season and sixth-place finish at the Outdoor Heptagonal Championships. "I think that a lot of us can break records this year," Penn senior co-captain Monica Maccani said. "I think that if we train hard we can finish in the top four or five at Heps. It is definitely not out of reach." In order to attain success, however, the Quakers must work together and work hard. In a sport as broad as track and field, the Quakers are forced to work on a wide range of events. However, the coaches and captains work to maintain a cohesive unit, keeping in mind that success comes from a balanced team. "I'm with the throwers and we are all stepping it up as a group," Maccani said. "We are training together better and we get together a lot more outside of track." The Red and Blue, currently recovering from spring break, are now focusing on diligent training. "We are just increasing volume and getting ready for the season," Tenisci said. "Everybody's very sore, but we're working through it. It's high quality work, but it's just a lot more." Captains Gair and Maccani agree that much of Penn's season relies on the attitude of each member of the team. "This is one of the hardest sports to do because the season is year-long," Maccani said. "We have to keep a positive attitude and make sure that our training reflects what we want to do on the track and the rest of the season." Both on the track and the field, Penn will be led by a strong group of upperclassmen as well as some promising freshmen. "We can all improve. It's all about who can compete up to their potential," Gair said. "Anyone can step up at any time and grab it if they want it." The Red and Blue are prepared and ready to get the new outdoor season under way. "We're ready to leave the past behind and start fresh," Gair said. "Its all about keeping a positive attitude."