The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is no stranger to being top of the list in the medical world. Established in 1885, CHOP was the first hospital in the nation dedicated to the treatment of children. Now, thanks to Child magazine, it can also claim the title of the best pediatric hospital in America. Last week, the magazine gave CHOP the top ranking from a survey of 178 hospitals that are members of the National Association of Children's Hospitals and Related Institutions. The survey -- which, according to Child Senior Editor Karen Cicero, was the first of its kind -- did not take reputation into consideration. "This is the first instance of a survey that makes a decision based on objective measures," Cicero said. From the 178 NACHRI member institutions, the field was narrowed down to 50 finalists who participated in the survey, which was developed by a medical advisory board of pediatricians across the country. The survey looked at many aspects of the care provided by the hospitals, from cancer survival rates to programs for the emotional needs of patients. "Unlike other surveys, we sought to evaluate hospitals based solely on the issues," Child Editor-in-Chief Miriam Arond said in a statement. While CHOP is not affiliated with Penn, its close proximity to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania allows both hospitals to share staff. The pediatric department of the University's School of Medicine is based at CHOP. "We're very pleased with [the ranking]," Interim Dean of the School of Medicine Arthur Asbury said yesterday. "That's a wonderful recognition for what we feel is an excellent pediatric institution." The quality of health care, typified by family programs and a welcoming environment for children, has been CHOP's formula for success for many years. "The philosophy at CHOP is that quality of care is number one," said Robert Baldassano, a gastroenterologist at CHOP who also completed his residency and fellowship there. "If you always put quality of care [first] you will eventually have what it takes to be a great institution." While noting that she did not want to show favor, Cicero said she was overjoyed with CHOP's success. "I'm thrilled," said Cicero, who lives about an hour and a half outside of Philadelphia. "It's nice to know, for somebody who wants kids, that there's an excellent hospital nearby." "The residents of Philadelphia should be doing cartwheels that CHOP is in their backyard," she added. And while Baldassano is understandably pleased that he is working at the best pediatric hospital, he hopes that Child's survey improves pediatric health care across the country. "Hopefully, [the survey] will make [all of the] hospitals try to be better," he said.