Kelli Toland returned to the Penn lineup on Wednesday at Rhodes Field and scored her final career goal on Penn's home turf in a 5-0 victory over Lehigh. The Quakers close out the regular season tomorrow. (Jacques-Jean Tiziou/The Daily Pennsylvanian)

When bitter rivals face off, records go right out the window -- or so goes the sporting cliche. But when the Penn women's soccer team takes on Princeton in a 5 p.m. match tomorrow at Old Nassau, records will be the prime motivation for each side. The first-place Tigers (12-4 overall, 5-1 Ivy League) would clinch the Ivy title with a win over the Quakers (8-7-1, 2-4) tomorrow evening, while Penn looks forward to playing the role of spoiler against its foe on the other side of the Delaware. If the Red and Blue emerge victorious, and Dartmouth wins at Cornell tomorrow at 11 a.m., Penn would have the satisfaction of essentially ripping the league title away from the Tigers and handing it right to the Big Green. Princeton will be expected to win the crucial finale, but Penn won't back down from the challenge. "I don't mind playing underdog," Penn coach Darren Ambrose said. Plus, the Quakers exploded out of their scoring doldrums in their last game. Having scored just five goals in their previous seven games, the Red and Blue matched that total all at once in a 5-0 slaughter of Lehigh on Wednesday at Rhodes Field. Penn had also lost its last four games entering Wednesday's match, in which the five Red and Blue seniors played their last game on the grass at Rhodes. The Quakers are now trying to ride this one final wave of success and enthusiasm to a conquest of mighty Princeton, which itself is coming off of a 5-0 Halloween thrashing of Stony Brook. "We were on a long losing streak," Penn senior Angela Konstantaras said. "Now we broke that, and we want to keep it going." The Red and Blue were in fact so pumped up after the emotional win over Lehigh that it took them until their practice session yesterday to begin focusing on the next matchup. "I think we were still celebrating in the first half-hour of practice [yesterday]," said Ambrose, who mentioned that the Quakers did eventually settle down to have a productive workout. In recent years, Penn has stacked up well with Princeton, beating the Tigers in three of their last four meetings. Ambrose knows his club is capable of winning, but a key will be containing the Tigers' quickness. "They're fast everywhere. They have great team speed," he said. "There are very few weaknesses that they have." And of all their strengths, defense is number one. Princeton has surrendered a paltry seven goals all year, including a league-low two in its six Ivy League games. The Quakers might need to again look for some scoring punch from their younger athletes, such as they did in the Lehigh game in which freshmen Ashley Glaubach and Ayla Gustafson were responsible for three Penn goals. But Ambrose refuses to push all of his freshmen out there merely for the sake of seeing what he has to work with in the future. "We're playing it like we want to win the game," he said. "We also have a lot to play for in terms of recruiting because, if Princeton wins, that hurts us." Though the Red and Blue most likely waved goodbye to any possible NCAA Tournament berth with their late-season struggles, the Quakers still may participate in postseason play. Regardless of the outcome of tomorrow's contest, Penn is hoping for a call from the ECAC Tournament selection committee. The ECACs are to begin next Saturday at a yet-to-be-determined locale. Ambrose expects to learn by early next week whether or not his team qualifies.

News and Notes Penn has had success in the ECACs in the past. Three seasons ago, the Quakers ran the table and took the 1997 ECAC Championship.