Will Ruthrauff is currently holding down the No. 4 spot for the Quakers. Penn lost its opener, but hopes for success under second-year coach Craig Thorpe-Clark. (Jacques-Jean Tiziou/The Daily Pennsylvanian)

When the Penn men's squash team travels to New Haven, Conn., and Providence, R.I., this weekend in search of its first victory, a familiar face will hit the courts for the first time this year -- co-captain Will Ruthrauff. Recovering from an injury that sidelined him for the 8-1 loss to the Cornell Big Red on November 18, Ruthrauff will play in the No. 4 position against Yale (0-0) on Saturday and Brown on Sunday. Ruthrauff, a senior, is approaching his 2000-2001 debut with much enthusiasm. "It was incredibly hard to sit back and watch the team play without being able to help out," Ruthrauff said. "I'm pumped for my first match of the season. "The scrimmages are always fun but competition isn't really fun until it counts and the pride of the school and team is on the line. This is what we've been working for all fall." Penn coach Craig Thorpe-Clark acknowledges Ruthrauff's importance to the Quakers' (0-1, 0-1 Ivy) success. "Will plays in the top half of the lineup, making the team stronger behind him," Thorpe-Clark said. "Also, he's a good leader on and off the court and has the respect of all the guys for being a contributor." Penn co-captain Peter Withstandley, who plays in the No. 1 position, is also looking forward to Ruthrauff's return to the courts. "Will is a big boost for the team," Withstandley said. "He is good as captain and provides vocal leadership. He's also active in bringing the team together on and off the court and raises the energy and excitement level." Despite Ruthrauff's return, the Red and Blue will need to put together an unforgettable performance to overcome a formidable side from Yale this weekend. Yale, led by senior Blake Gilpin, is one of the frontrunners to capture the Ivy League crown and to challenge the nation's elite for the top spot in the country. While the Quakers rely heavily on the performances of their youth, including four freshmen, the Elis feature seven strong seniors on their roster. Ruthrauff realizes that Yale will present a formidable challenge. "Yale is a really good team," Ruthrauff said. "We know it and we aren't setting our goals too high. It's a great opportunity for everyone to get some tough competition, because that's how we'll improve." Regardless of the outcome of Saturday's bout against the Elis, the Red and Blue view Sunday's match at Brown as a key contest. The Bears, led by sophomore Ben Oliner, finished ninth in the nation last year and match up well with the Quakers. "The Brown match should be very competitive and is a big match for us this year, especially in the Ivies," Thorpe-Clark said. "It's a winnable match that we're focusing on. We'll consider it a good weekend if we beat Brown." To overcome the Bears, though, the Red and Blue will have to play better than they did against Cornell. "In the Cornell match, we were flat to start our matches," Withstandley said. "Cornell had more intensity than us. This week, we have to win as quickly and easily as we can to get a good victory under our belts." Thorpe-Clark is confident that the Quakers' dedication will soon pay off. "The players' effort and competitiveness is going to carry us through some matches," Thorpe-Clark said. "They want to win and be successful and they have a real team spirit, which Will is responsible for." Clearly, back-to-back road matches this weekend against a strong Yale squad and a competitive Brown team will present a challenge for the young Quakers. But the return of team leader Ruthrauff's racquet to the courts could provide the push the Red and Blue need to get on the winning track.