Jeffrey Wigand, the tobacco industry whistleblower whose story was the basis for last year's film, The Insider, speaks to a full crowd in Houston Hall. His speech was the first of many Academic Integrity Week events. (Angie Louie/The Daily Pennsylvanian)

For all those who were wondering: Yes, he would do it again. Jeffrey Wigand, the former tobacco industry scientist whose interview was spiked from 60 Minutes and was then the subject of the 1999 film The Insider, spoke to a packed house at Houston Hall yesterday to kick off Penn's inaugural Academic Integrity Week. Wigand discussed his experiences in the tobacco industry, focusing on business ethics in an attempt to "create some fires" among the several hundred students in attendance. The lecture was co-sponsored by the Provost Spotlight Series. Wigand is best known for breaking a confidentiality agreement with Brown and Williamson Tobacco Corporation and disclosing that tobacco executives have long known that nicotine was addictive. He was interviewed by Mike Wallace on 60 Minutes in 1995 regarding his knowledge about the cigarette industry, and he testified before Congress in 1996, contradicting the testimony of the CEO of his former company. Wigand's story became more dramatic and high-profile, though, when CBS initially refused to air Wallace's interview with him because of fears over a threatened multi-billion dollar lawsuit, igniting a storm of controversy in the journalistic world. CBS eventually did air the interview, but not until the story had become public and The Wall Street Journal had run their own version. "I came forward because my moral compass told me to do so," Wigand said. "I believed that the truth would save me." The week-long academic integrity series will include a presentation of The Insider, in which Wigand is played by Academy Award nominee Russell Crowe. Wigand, who was originally hesitant about the movie, said he was pleased with the final product, which was nominated for Best Picture at the Academy Awards. "I was afraid that the movie wouldn't be consistent with the actual events," Wigand said. "But everyone involved did a phenomenal job." The lecture was attended by a standing-room-only variety of students and faculty members. Reasons for attendance were as diverse as the audience itself. "I'm here because I'm interested in the legal issues of confidentiality," College senior Brad Moore said. "Dr. Wigand has a more personal approach than a legal expert would." "I want to see how he feels in retrospect," College sophomore Trip Clattenburg added. "It's interesting to see the moral dilemma he faced and why he chose to come forward." Wigand blamed many of the problems with tobacco on the lack of government regulation of the industry. He also chided the companies themselves for marketing their products to young children. His talk did mention some of the dramatic moments depicted in the film, such as the anonymous death threats he received for his role as a "whistleblower" -- a term he says he hates -- and his heated battle with CBS executives over his story. But he largely focused his talk on the dangers of nicotine and its marketing. "Children barely out of diapers become addicted to a substance just as addictive as cocaine," Wigand said. "It's an addiction that starts out as an image and leads up to a chemical substance." Wigand was one of 51 teachers in the nation awarded the Sally May Teacher of the Year award in 1996. Since he "reluctantly" stopped teaching in 1998, Wigand has founded Smoke-Free Kids, a non-profit organization intended to teach kids about the dangers of nicotine at a young age. Wigand charged the students in attendance with analyzing the case themselves to determine the truth about nicotine addiction. He also implored the audience to make a difference in the world. When asked about his decision to break his legal agreement with Brown and Williamson, Wigand was clear in his message. "I'm not asking for empathy or sympathy. I would do it again without compunction," he said. Wigand's talk opened the first annual Academic Integrity Week. Other events that will occur in the next several days include an ethics panel tomorrow afternoon and a speech by Mayor John Street on Friday. "The goal of this series of events is to promote awareness of academic integrity at Penn, and to let people know that we take it seriously," Council Chairwoman Rikki Tannenbaum said.