University President Judith Rodin named Leslie Kruhly as the new University secretary yesterday, effective September 18. Kruhly -- who will replace Rose McManus, who left Penn on July 31 -- is the current associate director of development and special events at the Museum of Archeology and Anthropology. "I'm thrilled and honored," Kruhly said last night. "I look forward to working with Dr. Rodin and [Penn Trustees' Chairman] Jim Riepe and the provost on the issues that are coming up." Kruhly said Rodin called her last Wednesday to offer her the position. "Leslie brings a wealth of valuable experience and expertise to this important position," Rodin said in a press statement. "She is a superb administrator with a broad knowledge of higher education and its challenges." McManus left Penn this summer to devote more time to her family after serving in her capacity since 1996. As secretary, Kruhly will be responsible for working with University Council and the University Trustees. "In her role at the University Museum, Leslie Kruhly has demonstrated the exceptional qualities needed in a new secretary," Riepe said in a press release. "Her keen understanding of higher education and its complexities, along with her skills as an administrator, make her an excellent choice for this position." Kruhly will also be responsible for organizing the University's annual Commencement ceremony. She said that she saw her job as important in facilitating the work done by the president's office, the Trustees and the faculty. "I think the office of the secretary is there to make sure that the president's office and the Trustees and the faculty all achieve what their agendas are," she explained. "That's my goal -- to make the office as efficient as possible." Since 1997, Kruhly has overseen the University Museum's development and fundraising activities. She was behind the $17 million fundraising campaign for the Mainwaring Wing, a 35,000-square-foot addition that will provide climate-sensitive storage and badly needed extra space. Kruhly said she will continue to work part-time at the University Museum while she starts in the secretary's office. "The museum is involved in a lot of different activities, including major new announcements, so I'll be transitioning out of the museum for the next month," she said. "I'm sorry to leave the museum, but I'm really eager to start in the office of the secretary."