Former Penn M. Soccer great records shutout

Former Penn goalie Michael O'Connor led the Hershey Wildcats to a 2-0 win over the Pittsburgh Riverhounds last Saturday in his first career A-League start.

O'Connor earned All-Ivy Honorable Mention in 1999. That same year, he became the Quakers all-time leader in shutouts and minutes played.

O'Connor -- who recorded two saves in the game -- had been playing for the Delaware Wizards of the USISL D3 Pro League, guiding the team to a 4-0 record before his call-up to Hershey.

-- Sebastian Stockman

New M. Lax assistant coach hired

Last Thursday, the Penn Athletic Department named Michael Murphy -- most recently head lacrosse coach at Ridgefield High School -- the newest assistant coach for the men's lacrosse team.

Murphy, a three-year starter at Duke and 1991 Blue Devils co-captain, has played on three national finalist teams for various clubs.

Murphy got his first collegiate coaching experience as a member of the staff of Brown's 1992 NCAA quarterfinal team.

Murphy then moved on to Virginia, where he was instrumental in recruiting, administration and summer camps for two NCAA runners-up, a semifinalist, and two quarter-final Cavalier squads.

Before his last gig at Ridgefield high, Murphy was an assistant for the 1999 national championship-winning New York Athletic Club team.

-- S. S.