University City may one day be Philadelphia's own Cambridge, according to the University City District's exhibit "The Future of University City," on display in the South Arcade of 30th Street Station.

The exhibit -- which has been open for viewing for several weeks -- highlights contributions by various businesses, educational institutions and community organizations to the University City area in a three-kiosk display.

"It's a mixture of public and private investment in University City that's going on now or will be going on the future," UCD spokeswoman Allison Kelsey explained.

Eleven neighborhood groups, schools and businesses sponsored panel displays in the exhibit.

The panels set up for exhibition include pictures and descriptions of plans for the Sundance Cinemas complex -- slated for a fall opening -- and designs for the Left Bank, a 285-unit apartment complex to be located at 31st and Walnut streets in the former General Electric building. Penn is currently leasing the GE property to the real-estate development firm Dranoff Properties.

Penn is also displaying its latest campus initiatives, focusing on the Mainwaring Wing that will be added to the University Museum and plans to renovate Hamilton Village.

Visions for the new Penn-assisted public school to be built in West Philadelphia are also up for examination.

At the opening two weeks ago, University Executive Vice President John Fry described parts of the $800 million capital program of Penn, adding that the future of the University may lie east -- in the 30th Street Postal Service property that will soon be for sale.

"Our reach is pretty extensive," he said.

Fry -- also the chairman of the UCD's board of directors -- added that the University would remain committed to West Philadelphia.

"We're going to be here for the rest of our lives," he explained.

Third District Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell also appeared for the exhibit's opening -- which attracted approximately 50 community members -- and praised the commitment of local residents to the University City area.

"Our inclusiveness is certainly what makes a difference," she told those who turned out for the opening. "West Philadelphia is the fastest growing community in the city. Let's keep it rolling."

At the exhibit's opening, representatives of most of the organizations sponsoring panels for display spoke to community members about their own plans for University City.

The Philadelphia Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, Amtrak and the UCD co-sponsored the event, with Brown's Thriftway and Commerce Bank also providing support.

The UCD exhibit will remain on display in 30th Street Station until the end of the month.