The so-called "Center City rapist" never intended to kill Wharton doctoral student Shannon Schieber, but did so when he panicked at the arrival of police, FBI profilers claim in a recent report.

Schieber was murdered in her Rittenhouse Square apartment in May 1998. Police believe she was killed by the same person responsible for a series of rapes in the area.

According to an article in The Philadelphia Inquirer last week, lawyers for Schieber's parents -- who sued the city and police for failing to answer a 911 call correctly -- filed the report in preparation for the trial, which is expected to being this fall. A deposition by FBI Agent Frederick Kingston, the author of the paper, accompanied the report.

Kingston's profile claims that Schieber was alive and struggling with the rapist when police arrived on the scene.

In the report, Kingston said that the killer strangled his victim in a panicked response to the knocks of a neighbor and police officers on the door of Schieber's Rittenhouse Square apartment.

He concluded that the offender did not initially intend to murder Schieber.

The Inquirer found the documents during a routine reviewing of legal papers filed in U.S. District Court and printed quotations from both the report and Kingston's deposition last week.

Confidentiality restrictions imposed on lawyers of both parties prevent them from being able to comment on the report and deposition.

The Center City rapist, who is still at large, has been linked to the rapes of six women in the Rittenhouse Square area, all in their late teens or 20s.

However, Kingston -- based at the FBI academy in Quantico, Va. -- said in his report that as many as 18 women may have been attacked by the rapist.

Schieber is the only known victim to have been murdered.

The offender has struck as recently as August, and several 1997 attacks have been linked to him.

According to Philadelphia Homicide Lt. Ken Coluzzi, who is leading the lengthy investigation of the Center City rapes, despite continued police work, there have been no significant recent developments in the case.

"We're still plugging away at it," Coluzzi said. "We still have a commitment to solving it."

He also called the article in the Inquirer detailing the struggle between Schieber and her attacker "touchy" and said that its authors were, at times, "guessing."

The suit filed by Schieber's parents claims that the police officers who answered her call should have knocked down her door upon their arrival; instead, they left after nobody answered their knocks. They believe that Schieber and the killer were both alive inside the apartment when police came.

At the time of the incident, Philadelphia Police Commissioner John Timoney said that officers acted properly, and police officials say they still stand behind Timoney's statement.

Schieber's brother found the 23-year-old Schieber strangled to death on May 6, 1998, in her apartment after she failed to make a lunch appointment.

Sylvester Schieber, Schieber's father, has made pleas to the public to turn in the Center City rapist, believing someone knows who he is.

Penn has joined the effort to locate the offender, offering a $20,000 reward for information leading to his arrest. The Philadelphia Daily News has pledged an additional $5,000 to that amount.