At least seven minority candidates were elected to the UA last week. Over the past year, the Undergraduate Assembly has made conscious efforts to diversify its membership -- attempting, essentially, to steer itself away from its historically white, Greek, male image. And judging from last week's election results, the changes are beginning to take form, with significant increases in minority representation on the UA. At least seven minority students were elected to the UA last week, compared with two minority students in last year's spring elections. Although about half the elected members are incumbents, there was still room for a diverse group of new faces. Last year's UA had a total of four minority members --Eincluding two elected in the fall freshman elections -- among its 33 total members. The group has been criticized for its homogeneity and neglect of minority issues in the past. But the the new additions could alter the general mindset of the UA. Both the UA and the United Minorities Council have agreed that the lack of minority students on the UA does not accurately represent the student body. Together, the UA and UMC have made extensive efforts to encourage minority students to get involved in student government and run for positions on the UA. The two groups have also embarked on various joint projects over the past year, including co-sponsored meetings on campus issues. The seven elected minorities came from a pool of about 20 minority candidates, itself a marked increase from previous years. Engineering junior and UA incumbent Mo Saraiya said that a larger presence of minorities on the UA will make the group more effective in addressing minority issues. "Because [the UA] doesn't have a stake in the issues, it's not as efficient in tackling them," he said. Mike Krouse, another UA member and member of the minority community, noted that a more diverse UA will prove effective. "Sometimes there's a lack of understanding of issues," the Wharton and Engineering junior said. Krouse attributed this to the "different mindset" that a less diverse UA may have toward minority issues. He added that the diversity of the body will help increase the perspective the body has on various issues. Krouse, who is running for UA chairman, also said that the increased number of minorities and continuing improvement in the UA's relationship with the UMC will increase the legitimacy of both student groups on campus. "Having both groups' support something together would project a unified front to the administration," Krouse said. UMC Vice Chairwoman Anita Patel said that with more minorities on the UA, the body can better address minority issues with or without the active support of the UMC. "[The UA] can work more independently without the UMC," Patel said. "They can now depend on the [minority] students elected." "Students will now hope the UA will address minority issues better," the College junior added.