Neighbors of the new alcohol-free indie rock club at 4040 Locust Street don't want the performers to pump up the volume. Students living near the new 4040 club said they called the police and the Department of Licenses and Inspections Wednesday night to complain about the excessive noise. "The music level is absolutely insane," said College junior Paula Miller, who lives at 4051 Locust Street. "I might as well be in the club." Some students, including Miller, said they want the club -- which has been holding concerts since spring break -- to shut down. In February, city officials and community residents approved zoning changes to permit a music club in the former Urban Outfitters site, next to the Video Library. Miller added that the reason behind 4040's zoning remains a "mystery" to her. College junior Alyson Fien, who also lives at 4051 Locust, said she had called the police twice about the noise. Penn police were unavailable for comment last night. Yesterday, club co-owner Sean Agnew said he was aware of the residents' concerns regarding music levels, adding that he has printed letters for the 4000 block that say 4040 wants to be a "good neighbor." The club will install a theater curtain -- costing several thousand dollars -- to help lessen the noise level, according to Agnew, who said he does not have an exact date for its arrival. Agnew said the venue's "awkward" architecture, specifically its high ceiling, contributes to the sound amplification outside. "We are currently looking into ways to sound-proof the room completely to prevent sound from escaping the building as well as managing the calendar so that shows best fit into everyone's schedule," Agnew wrote in the letter. The letter also includes assurances that the club will end shows by 11 p.m. during the week and prevent concert-goers from loitering around houses. Still, music from 4040 interrupted Nicole Matusow's reading at 9:00 p.m. Wednesday night, according to the College junior who lives on nearby Beige Block. "It's the loudest thing ever," she added. However, some students living nearby said they couldn't hear anything. Wharton sophomore Jeff Braverman -- who lives on the side of 4031 Locust Street that does not face the club -- said the sound did not disturb him Wednesday night. 4040 Locust Street will serve as a temporary location until the University finds a permanent venue more suitable for a music club. Penn, which leases the building to the club, granted a license to 4040's operators barring the sale of alcohol, food or beverages. Tom Lussenhop, the University's top real estate official, said in an e-mail yesterday that Penn "would be more than open to dealing with the noise issue during this busy time of study in any other creative ways that people suggest." Yesterday, Spruce Hill Community Association President Barry Grossbach, who signed an agreement with the University in January detailing the frequency and hours of shows, said the club is "a work in progress." Tommorrow, the music club will hold its grand opening show, featuring Atom and his Package. The event marks 4040's arrival as a consistent venue on the Philadelphia indie and punk scene. Agnew had been in talks with the University about opening a club in the area since last summer. In the fall, plans to build the venue at 40th and Market streets fell through because, Agnew said, at the time, Penn officials were afraid the club would increase area crime. Students reacted with petitions, signs and letters, and Penn officials resumed their discussions with Agnew shortly afterward. The club's opening fulfills the Working Group on Alcohol Abuse's recommendation that open a late-night, alcohol-free music club open on or near campus.