Hundreds of Penn students and Philadelphia residents saw why Tito Puente is known as "El Rey" of Latin music on Saturday night. In two back-to-back concerts at the Zellerbach Theatre in the Annenberg Center, Puente dazzled filled-to-capacity crowds with his brilliant percussion, catchy Latin rhythms and flamboyant movements. Puente had initially been scheduled to play only one show. Another one was added three weeks ago after the original 8 p.m. concert sold out. Michael Rose, director of Penn Presents, said he booked Puente last April because he wanted a Latin jazz icon. The audience greeted him with a standing ovation as he took the stage, as well as after his encore. Both audiences saw the fast footwork of Eddie Torres and his New York City-based Latin dance troupe. But those who attended the second show received a special treat, as Puente was joined by his good friend Bill Cosby, who provided added comic relief on top of Puente's act. Between numbers, Puente joked with the crowd as if his real calling was as a comedian. Cosby came onstage as a featured trumpet player during the 10:30 p.m. show, but was cut off by the band each time he tried to play. "I just started this afternoon," Cosby said after the show. He gave up the trumpet, resorting to singing with rolled R's, dancing salsa and finally settling on playing the cowbell. By the end of the night, Cosby was banging on Puente's drums and imitating his trademark arm movements and facial expressions. Cosby was invited to the show by Harold Haskins, director for Student Development and Planning in the Office of the Vice Provost for University Life. Haskins is also Cosby's personal friend from their days in North Philadelphia 35 years ago. Haskins said he knew of Cosby's and Puente's friendship and wanted to add another dimension to the event. "There needs to be a better understanding of diversity," Haskins said. "One reason why Cosby came is that he understands that African-American Latin jazz is a blend." He emphasized that Cosby was not paid for his appearance in the 10:30 p.m. show. "He drove on his own from New Brunswick, and then back to New York, to be here tonight." Haskins noted the importance of the diversity in the crowd. "This is a major kind of impact, with the community and the students." Indeed, many audience members were not Penn students but area residents. Some even traveled from New York to hear the show. Jessica Rodriguez, a junior at nearby Central High School, said she particularly liked Puente's unique style of music. "Salsa in the U.S. was a mixture through New York. [Puente] incorporated the Latin rhythms on African drums and the big band of New York," Rodriguez said. After the opening number, Puente was honored by Enrique Conde, president of the Cuban-American Undergraduate Student Community.