W. Phila. residents met with the mayor and Judith Rodin to discuss neighborhood issues. Hundreds of West Philadelphia community members met with Mayor John Street for three-and-a-half hours of lively discussion last night to demand blight removal, improved schools and restored funding for the Walnut West branch of the Philadelphia Free Library. Street, along with Third District Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell and University President Judith Rodin, held an open-invitation meeting for West Philadelphians at the Lea School on 47th and Locust streets, listening to individual concerns and complaints for over three hours. "We think we know a little about? what's important to you," Street told the assembled citizens to open last night's proceedings. "But that's not the same as hearing it from you." So Street, under moderation by Rodin, opened the floor to anyone with a concern about life in and around West Philadelphia. One of the first concerns the panel had to address was the projected loss of funding to the libraries that came as a result of the mayor's proposed budget for Fiscal Year 2000. But when Beth Ann Johnson, president of the Friends of Walnut West Library group, stepped to the microphone to request funding for area libraries, she was surprised to learn that within the past few days the mayor had altered his budget to provide the funding she wanted. "It's done," Street said to Johnson after she asked the mayor to allot almost $300,000 to the libraries' anticipated budget shortfall, inciting roaring applause and a standing ovation from the audience. Yet the work of the panel was not done after what seemed like an early victory for Street and the West Philadelphia community. Both Rodin and the new mayor soon had to address the controversy surrounding the construction of a Penn-assisted public school and the proposed catchment area drawn by the school board to determine who will be eligible to attend the new school. "Where's the money coming from to build the school? when you already have two schools that can't afford to buy books or build a library?" West Philadelphia resident Roxanna Smith demanded of Street and Rodin, who did not respond to the question. Several others speaking at last night's meeting agreed with Smith's fear that the construction of a Penn-assisted school would be detrimental to already existing public schools. But the University came under the greatest attack when community members began discussing the proposed catchment area, with some calling the proposed boundary "racist" and comparing it to "gerrymandering." "They're removing all the black children," Smith added after speaking to the panel. Rodin responded to these complaints at the end of the meeting, noting that, "We will never satisfy everyone" and that the school "gives a chance to all the schools in West Philadelphia." "This is not about racial politics," she explained. However, despite heated debate about the new school, the panel spent the majority of the meeting listening to individuals complain about the abandoned cars, litter and lack of economic development on their own blocks. In response, Street reminded the audience of his pledge to fight neighborhood blight and his recent allocation of millions to this project. But Street also asked the neighborhood to remain involved, noting that each block should appoint "block captains" to help keep West Philadelphia clean and safe. "The first step is on us," Street said. "And then, after we work with you to do what needs to be done, the community has to be engaged so we can have a project that has been maintained." Since last night's meeting generated such a large turn-out and heated discussion, Street said he will hold a follow-up town meeting for the area on February 28.