President Rodin is one of five chosen to ease Street's move into office. Mayor-elect John Street announced yesterday that University President Judith Rodin will serve as one of five chairpersons of his transition team, a city-wide committee charged with helping the Democrat ease into office with a comprehensive, long-range vision for the city. The five chairpersons are responsible for leading teams evaluating the city government's structure and operations and recruiting top personnel to work in the Street administration. With Penn -- the largest private employer in the city -- contributing roughly $2.5 billion to the state's economy each year, the University has had an influential voice in city-wide affairs for years. Rodin's appointment to Street's team likely indicates that Penn will continue to enjoy some of the clout it held during the eight years of the Ed Rendell administration. The transition team will include at least 12 task forces with about 15 members each. City Hall officials are expecting the staffing and overall activities of the team to cost $150,000. "There is no secret that we have enjoyed great momentum as a city over the past eight years," Street said in a statement released yesterday. "Our mission, through the implementation of a successful transition program, will be to build upon that momentum, and to establish a plan that will bring even greater efficiency, expanded development and job creation, improved public education and a comprehensive revitalization strategy for our neighborhoods," he added. Joining Rodin as transition team chairpersons are former Temple University Law School Dean Carl Singley, public education advocate Dorothy Summers Rush, prominent attorney Leonard Klehr and Patricia De Carlo, a neighborhood development expert who serves as executive director of the Norris Square Civic Association. Caroline Brobile, a spokesperson for Street, explained that the mayor-elect was looking for a "wide cross-section" of Philadelphians to serve as heads of the transition team. Rodin, in particular, was chosen because she is well known as an "accomplished woman" in a high-profile position, Brobile said. "I appreciate the confidence Mayor-elect Street has in me," Rodin said yesterday. "We are grateful for this opportunity to assist him and the city in this important work." Street, the former City Council president, narrowly defeated his Republican challenger Sam Katz in the mayoral race two weeks ago.