Pay-for-use nonsensePay-for-use nonsenseTo the Editor: I realize Penn has other motivations behind the decision. The University probably hopes that by adding costs to off-campus living, there is a better chance that the college house system will not fail. This is flawed logic. If Penn wants the college house system to be successful, it needs to make the dormitories livable. Trying to make off campus housing look worse will not accomplish the goal. Lastly, the University's argument that it is unfair to charge all students higher tuition to support the modem pool is completely ridiculous. My tuition money goes to many different areas of the University and I certainly do not utilize all of them. I am not in every club the University supports and I do not use every building it maintains, but my tuition money is used nonetheless. If Penn wants to start charging students on a pay-for-use basis for everything it provides, that is fine. Until then, leave the modem pool alone. Steven Fechheimer Wharton '00 Crime stat follies To the Editor: In regards to your article about Penn's dismal ranking in the safety survey ("Study ranks Penn as least safe Ivy school," DP, 11/10/99): It seems to me that Penn administrators would be justified in complaining about the methodology of the survey only if they themselves were willing to provide an accurate picture of safety at the University. David Bergeron Graduate Student Dept. of Physics and Astronomy Enough disrespect To the Editor: I worked 9 to 5 while I was a CGS student, then went to class at night dog-tired. It took me 8 1/2 years to earn a B.A. -- and I did it with honors. Unfortunately, Wise's appreciation for older students who, unlike traditional Penn students, did not have the opportunity (financial or social) to go to college at 18, is the exception. I and other CGS students have experienced an astonishing amount of discrimination from both students and faculty -- discrimination that would not be tolerated by another other "under-represented" group on campus. Every time I see an article about how the University should find a proper "home" for specific groups, I am angered once again that CGS has still not been given a home on campus since it was moved out of Logan Hall and up to 34th and Market streets in 1991. A prominent faculty member here once proclaimed to his entire daytime class: "I didn't know they let CGS students in day classes!" It is unthinkable that any other minority students would be addressed in this way. But CGS students rarely complain because they are simply grateful to be at such a challenging and resource-rich university as Penn. Yes, CGS classes are filled with experienced, smart people who've been through many of life's most humbling moments. They deserve the respect of the University, its faculty and administration, and most of all, its most privileged students. Sue Smith CGS '94