Eight officers were chosen by Penn's 31 fraternities for the IFC's 2000 executive board. The University's 31 fraternities elected a new InterFraternity Council executive board last night led by Alpha Chi Rho Brother Andrew Mandelbaum as its president. The election marks the end of IFC President Mark Metzl's term during a year rife with controversy over several major incidents that altered the University's alcohol policy. Mandelbaum, a College junior who was the IFC's vice president for academics this semester, said, "I look forward to working with the other members of the board? in redefining our goals for the next five years." Phi Kappa Psi brother and College junior John Buchanan was elected executive vice president, replacing Sigma Nu brother Andrew Exum, a Daily Pennsylvanian columnist. According to Buchanan, the outgoing board has prepared the new members well for the upcoming year. "I think that the board that is moving out of office has set us up well to continue their work," Buchanan said. "There's a long transition period so that we can step into their positions with guidance." Other newly elected members to the board include Phi Kappa Sigma brother and Engineering junior Mark Valenti, who was named vice president for rush; Vice President for Academics Rob Lewin, an Alpha Epsilon Pi brother and Wharton junior; Delta Kappa Epsilon brother and College sophomore Mark Zimring as vice president for communications; Kappa Sigma brother Sam Holliday, an Engineering junior, as treasurer; Secretary Jared Hendricks, a Sigma Alpha Mu brother and Wharton sophomore; and Pi Kappa Phi brother Ben Yarbrough, a College junior, as judicial inquiry representative. Each of the five candidates for president gave a five-minute speech, which preceded a two-minute question-and-answer session. Two speeches by non-board members were made for each candidate. The names of the losing presidential candidates were not disclosed. All other candidates had three minutes to speak and two minutes to answer questions. Each fraternity was allowed one vote per position at the elections, which were closed to the public. A total of 16 fraternity members ran for the eight positions on the board. Metzl said this was the largest number of candidates in recent years. "I was very pleased with the results of the election," Metzl said. The newly elected IFC board, which will take office after winter vacation, will be responsible for rewriting the IFC's document of goals. The 21st Century Plan -- a 1996 plan that focuses on the issues of academics, faculty interaction, community service, the rush program, new member education and social enrichment and risk management -- expires in 2000.