Though Phi Sigma Kappa won back IFC recognition, Penn officials say the frat will likely not get back its old house. Despite its return to campus after a 17-month suspension, it seems extremely unlikely that the Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity will reacquire its former Locust Walk home. The Veranda, a student center, has occupied the property at 3615 Locust Walk for the past year and officials say they have no plans to move the facility to make room for Phi Sig, to which the InterFraternity Council restored recognition last week. "My understanding is that, under no circumstances, will any proposal to regain the property be approved by the University either now or at any time in the future," Vice Provost for University Life Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum said. And though Provost Robert Barchi said an official decision has not yet been made regarding the future of the house, he maintained that "when Phi Sigma Kappa lost its charter in the spring of 1998, the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, as well as the Vice Provost for University Life, made it clear to both the national [office] and to our Penn students that they would not be returning to the building." "This decision reflected the condition in which the building was returned to the University by the chapter at that time," he added in reference to the University-owned building. Still, Phi Sig President Michael Germano said the brothers are creating a proposal detailing why the chapter should be entitled to the house and recommending ways to improve the building's condition. "There is a lot of tradition in the house," the Wharton junior said. "In the long term, it will be beneficial for us to have a house." He added that Phi Sig is working to expand brotherhood events within the chapter, heighten members' understanding of Penn's Greek system and develop stronger ties with alumni. "Our ultimate goal is to regain our house," Germano said, noting that the Phi Sig members will work closely with alumni to develop their proposal, which they said they intend to submit soon after re-chartering. "It's our house -- our letters are still on it," Germano said. Phi Sig member Adrian Jones, a Wharton sophomore, said it was reasonable for OFSA and VPUL to say in the spring of 1998 that Phi Sig would not regain its house. "But times have changed," Jones added. "We think that once [the University officials] see it's not the old Phi Sig, they might be willing to reconsider." Phi Sig's primary aim is to regain a charter from its national organization by the chapter's 100th anniversary next spring, Germano said. In order to receive a charter, the fraternity must meet several criteria, including a high academic standing, community service initiatives and recognition from the IFC.