The decision marks the first relaxation of Penn's temporary alcohol ban. University President Judith Rodin approved the first set of recommendations to come out of the provost-appointed alcohol task force yesterday, allowing student organizations to once more hold events at off-campus establishments licensed to serve alcohol. Rodin's approval represents the first signs of tangible modifications to the administration's temporary alcohol policy which bans alcohol at all registered undergraduate events. There is still no timetable for a total repeal of the ban, Rodin said. The affected events, subject to University-regulated stipulations, specifically include fraternity and sorority formals scheduled over the next few weeks as well as the charity event Penn Rocks for the Homeless, scheduled for tonight. Groups must adhere to several conditions in order to hold the events. The task force -- consisting of 14 students and seven faculty and staff members -- outlined a strict set of regulations that the organizations must follow when holding events, including a limit of two guests per group member, wristbands on attendees who are of age and the presence of legal-age peer monitors. Also, organizers must submit a guest list that identifies those who are over 21. And the vendor must sign an agreement with Penn promising to abide by University alcohol policies and local, state and federal laws. Rodin praised the efforts of the committee, noting that "this is the kind of progress we had hoped for." At the meeting, committee members also developed a list of the other types of social events that might involve alcohol -- such as on-campus fraternity parties and other on-campus events -- to determine on a case-by-case basis over the next few weeks whether the ban can be lifted on any or all of them. According to committee members, the resolution on events at off-campus establishments was developed first because various fraternity and sorority formals have already been planned for the last few weeks of the semester. Undergraduate Assembly Vice Chairperson Michael Bassik, a College sophomore and Zeta Beta Tau brother, said there was a sense of "urgency" regarding this issue because "for contractual reasons, fraternities and sororities need to know before certain deadlines if they can hold formals." Another task force meeting is scheduled for today. Provost Robert Barchi said that while the committee wants to work efficiently as it evaluates alcohol policies, each meeting will not necessarily reap "specific recommendations." "The issues we're dealing with are big issues," said Barchi, adding that alcohol-related issues are "global issues that cut across a number of the contexts that we're talking about." In addition to the discussion of off-campus events, Bassik said the students on the committee presented a series of recommendations that they developed at an open forum on Monday. Suggestions included the development of mandatory alcohol education for freshman, developing a World Wide Web site to inform students about the progress of the task force and holding a town meeting where Rodin could address the students about alcohol issues at Penn. While Rodin noted that the recommendations from the open meeting -- which was attended by approximately 20 students -- were "good food for thought," she does not plan to hold a town meeting in the near future. "I don't think that that's useful at this point in time," Rodin said, explaining that students should voice their concerns to their peers on the task force. Students will be able to follow the progress of the task force through a Web site that will be up early next week, Bassik said.