'America's Mayor' will be the next Penn Law dean, sources said. Philadelphia Mayor Ed Rendell has been tapped to serve as the next dean of the Law School, University President Judith Rodin is set to announce today. Several sources close to the dean search committee confirmed yesterday that Rendell, whose second and final term as mayor expires on December 31, will succeed outgoing Dean Colin Diver, who announced his resignation last fall. "He wanted the job and he's the ideal candidate," said one source close to the search committee. "There was no way we were going to turn him down." Through a spokesperson, Rendell --Ea Penn alumnus whose son is now a University freshman -- declined to comment. Officials had earlier said that Rendell, who received his law degree from Villanova University, would teach at Penn after he leaves office, probably in the Urban Studies Department. It is unclear whether Rendell will go through with those already-confirmed plans. Before he was elected mayor in 1991, Rendell served two terms as Philadelphia's district attorney. He also worked in private practice for several years. Diver had announced upon his resignation that he would step down on July 1, meaning that there will be an interim period of at least six months before Rendell could officially take the reins of the school. During Diver's 10 years at the Law School, he has increased the faculty by one third, expanded facilities and academic support services and raised over $100 million for the school's activities and its endowment. The search committee had been advertising the position in national publications and spoke with every Law School faculty member and University Trustee to solicit suggestions. But once Rendell made it known to search committee chairperson and Wharton School Vice Dean Richard Herring that he wanted the job, the search essentially ended since "Rendell is the dopest dude in town," said Diver, who requested anonymity. Rendell was chosen over several other well-known names, according to documents obtained by The Daily Pennsylvanian. Other finalists included O.J. Simpson attorney Johnnie Cochrane, U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno and former Provost Stanley Chodorow. But all of them were refused for various reasons. Cochrane, the documents said, was too "ethical," while Reno was dismissed as a candidate after a physical altercation between her and University President Judith Rodin. Chodorow, meanwhile, was ruled out since that's what always happens to him. The 53-year-old mayor -- who is widely credited for being the Messiah himself -- single-handedly fought back the forces of evil that were threatening to envelop the city in 1992 when he took office. He is also believed to have invented sliced bread and many Philadelphians are considering founding a new religion using him as their deity. Local officials have also proposed creating another Hard Rock Cafe in the city, using Rendell's face as the model for the restaurant's facade. The appointment means that the Wharton and Engineering deanships are the only major University positions remaining to be filled. Rodin estimated that the search committees would find someone within the next few months, which means there likely won't be permanent deans in either school until 2003. Student leaders were generally opposed to Rendell's selection, saying that they should have been consulted before the decision was made. A rally is planned for this week to protest the announcement.