While the student body focuses its attention on the temporary ban on alcohol at most undergraduate parties, owners of local bars and restaurants are concerned about the potential effects of Penn's crackdown on student drinking in their establishments and the Penn community in general. One provision of the policy released this past Friday by University President Judith Rodin and Provost Robert Barchi states that the notice of the University's alcohol policy be given to area bars, restaurants and alcohol suppliers, and that they cooperate in enforcing alcohol policy. Many area business owners questioned the steps the University is taking to combat alcohol abuse, saying Penn should be implementing more proactive measures, like increasing alcohol education. Still, they said they have been doing more in recent days and weeks to prevent those under 21 from being served at their establishments. The manager of one bar near campus said recent pressure from the University and the Pennsylvania State Police's Liquor Control Enforcement bureau is creating paranoia among local establishments. "You hear so many rumors now that everybody's freaking out," he said. "We've been so hyper-paranoid about serving underage, we're probably turning away people who are 21." Noting that LCE agents have inspected the bar at least four times since spring break, the bar manager said he feared that such identification checks are "creating an atmosphere that's almost unfriendly" -- and bad for business. Richard Harman, co-owner of the Palladium at 36th Street and Locust Walk, said the University should be stressing education and responsibility rather than banning alcohol use. "I really think that the University could promote a positive change and they're missing an opportunity," he said. Harman added that bars promote alcohol responsibility by refusing to serve people who are clearly intoxicated. "I just think it's a bit presumptuous of the University and maybe a bit condescending to inform local restaurants and bars of [its] policies," Harman said. "They could learn a lot from local bars as far as alcohol is concerned." Paul Ryan, the owner of Smokey Joe's on 40th Street between Locust and Walnut streets, said that the new policy will mean a "tremendous boost in business for the cab companies" because more students will travel to Center City instead of visiting area bars. He also stressed that the University's dry policy falls short of the educational measures necessary to combat binge drinking. "In the short run [the policy is] a good idea; in the long run education is the key," Ryan said. "It's the only way to stop alcohol abuse." He added that the lack of parties and the subsequent social migration to Center City will leave fewer people on the streets at night and "people will perceive the campus as less safe" -- which goes against the University's goals of increasing foot traffic on and around campus to make the area safer. "The campus has worked hard over the last few years to keep bodies on the street," Ryan said. "If there's lots of people on [Locust] Walk, you feel safe." Despite a large number of concerns, some area businesspeople felt the University was moving in the right direction. An owner of one local restaurant said the temporary alcohol ban is "unfair to the person who is 21" but added that "it's a mixed kind of question.? I think controlling it or watching it more, that would be a good thing to do."