Following several years of revitalization, Center City is beginning its next large-scale renovation effort -- a makeover of a long-closed downtown segment of Chestnut Street that will re-open the thoroughfare to traffic by next spring. The project seeks to widen the road and improve its surrounding sidewalks in hopes that the area will become a retail and tourism destination in the near future. The mass renovations -- which will take place on Chestnut Street between 6th and 22nd streets -- will be conducted in two separate phases, with city, state and federal funds helping to foot the anticipated $14 million bill. The first phase of construction will take place between 6th and Broad streets and is expected to be complete around November of this year, while the second phase will begin this August and is scheduled to conclude in time for the Republican National Convention in the summer of 2000. In the mid-1970s, an eight-block portion of Chestnut Street was closed permanently to daytime and early evening traffic, but this failed attempt at creating a pedestrian thoroughfare has shown signs of aging and deterioration in recent years. Recognizing Chestnut's major problems -- cracked sidewalks, an outdated look and all-too-common real estate vacancies -- city officials decided to take action that will include widening the street from 20 feet to 28 feet, its original dimensions before the 1970s construction. "I think the street has long since outlived its urban design usefulness," said Denise Goren, Philadelphia's deputy mayor for transportation. "Simply what we want is a new, fresh and safe feel to the street, one that's more inviting and that fits a better balance of users on the street -- pedestrians, bikers, buses and cars trying to balance the use on a 24-hour clock." Goren explained that much of Chestnut's current sidewalk faults stem from thin pavement used to help the original project reach completion before the city's 1976 Bicentennial celebration -- a problem that will now be corrected. Other improvements include better lighting and over 200 new trees, as well as rounded street corners known as "bumpouts" which aid pedestrians with visibility when crossing streets. Chestnut currently maintains two lanes of traffic for use after 7 p.m. and the improvements will open a third lane of eastbound traffic. But Joseph Syrnick, chief engineer and surveyor with the Philadelphia Streets Department, said that the project was not created with the motorist in mind. "We're not designing this to carry a lot of traffic," said Syrnick. Citing a booming national economy and the recent prosperity of Philadelphia, Syrnick described the Chestnut renewal as "an important catalyst" to continue the city's success. While Goren said she did not anticipate any excessive inconveniences for Philadelphians during the construction period, buses and cars will be diverted until the project's first phase comes to a close. But Goren explained that the project will prove to be very successful in the coming years and offered an interesting metaphor to describe the purpose of Chestnut Street's revival. "It's is part of what I call 'connect the dots,'" Goren said. "The project will provide a link from [the Schuylkill] River to [the Delaware] River and it needs to reflect the city's history and future."