After successful fundraising efforts by the Sigma Nu fraternity and other area organizations, Sigma Nu Alumni Advisor Robert Drake returned to Philadelphia last night after a brutal gay-bashing assault in Ireland two months ago that left him lying unconscious in a pool of his own blood. The insurance company Independence Blue Cross arranged for an air ambulance to transfer Drake, 36, to Newark, N.J., from Dublin's Beaumont Hospital. Drake then traveled by ambulance to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, where he was admitted in serious condition under the care of attending physician Michael Cirigliano. Previously, because Drake was on a ventilator and financially strapped, he could not fly back for treatment to Philadelphia, his home for the past three years. His medical condition has since stabilized enough to allow for his transfer. Scott Pretorius, Drake's partner of six years and the chief radiology resident at HUP, said Drake is making better eye-contact with people and that his renal functioning is improving. However, "his longtime prognosis is still very grave and it is unlikely that he will ever again be able to live independently," Pretorius said. According to InterFraternity Council Vice President Andrew Exum -- a Sigma Nu brother and Daily Pennsylvanian columnist -- the fraternity raised well over $3,000 from selling small black buttons bearing the name "Robert." "The entire brotherhood took a collective sigh of relief" upon hearing that Drake would return, said Exum, a College junior. "We would like to thank all the people who made donations on the walk? as well as in the community," he added. The donations from the button sales helped cover flight and treatment expenses for the philanthropist who himself has donated hundreds of hours to the Sigma Nu fraternity. The fraternity also distributed the buttons to other organizations to sell, including the gay publication Baltimore Alternative, the Philadelphia gay and lesbian bookstore Giovanni's Room and the University of Rochester's Sigma Nu chapter. Literary readings combined with the button sales have garnered more than $6,000 in the fundraising effort. Giovanni's Room -- a gay, lesbian and feminist bookstore located at 345 S. 12th Street -- sold 46 of the 100 buttons it bought from the fraternity, owner Ed Hermance said. The bookstore raised an additional $2,100 at the March 5 "A Reading to Benefit the Robert Drake Fund" in the William Way Community Center at 1315 Spruce Street. In addition, two publishers -- Faber & Faber and Doubleday -- have contributed to the Robert Drake Fund. Faber & Faber donated the sales from 25 copies of three of Drake's books -- His, His II and Hers -- and Doubleday donated the sales from 25 copies of Drake's most recent book, The Gay Canon: Great Books Every Gay Man Should Read. Due to cooperation from the Irish Parliament -- which minimized the travel expenses -- a large portion of the donations from the button sales will be used not only toward travel costs as originally intended, but instead to help cover treatment costs, which are expected to total $3,000 per month. Pretorius said he is particularly grateful to the Sigma Nu brothers but still concerned about Drake's future. It is not known how long Drake will remain at HUP. "Ultimately we're going to need additional fundraising events," Pretorius said. "It's absurd that crimes like this keep happening," he said. "Gay men and lesbians are not accorded equal rights.? People see us as less than human."