They're just looking for a few interesting people. This past week, the Philomathean Society -- Penn's oldest student organization -- conducted a series of interviews in search of new members. Philo, as it is more commonly known, was founded in 1813 as a student government group. Over the years, it has evolved into a literary society, but even this broad term cannot fully describe the club. In the beginning, the club was comprised of all 50 members of the Penn senior class. Today, the society continues to limit its membership to 50, and currently has 37 members. "Philo is, if nothing else, a collection of what its members do," said Wharton and Engineering senior Eugene Huang, the Philomathean moderator. "We have individuals involved in every facet of the University. Essentially, the society's purpose today is to enhance the learning of individuals, just as it did in 1813. Philo is a place to make things happen," Huang explained. The past is something the society holds very sacred. Within the confines of Philo's offices on the fourth floor of College Hall are its archives, housing the original charter, the cornerstone of old College Hall, records of all kind and even a direct cast of the Rosetta Stone which the society translated into English in 1859. "The history of Philo parallels the history of the University and of Philadelphia," said College junior Peter Martelli, the society's archivist. "I really appreciate Philo as a place for academic discussion to thrive, a breeding ground so to speak." The society even boasts seven United States senators, two ambassadors and an attorney general among its list of alumni. Eli Price, the founder of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, was also a member. Philo's offices include an extensive library with books donated solely by the members, and an art gallery which used to be the premier place to exhibit art in all of Philadelphia. But what exactly is Philo? Any member responds with the group's motto, "Philo is as Philo does." Activities range from human chess matches on College Green, to the annual publication of Philomel, the society's own literary journal. Meetings are held every other Friday at 8 p.m. and are open to the public. "Events that Philo holds are spontaneous and uncalculated, whatever the members choose to do," Huang said. "In Philo, the limits are your limits. We bring together the academic, scholarly, literary and social aspects of the University in a very unique way." Huang insists that there is no single type of Philo member. The society is just looking for "interesting" people. At the interviews, prospective members are greeted with smiles, a questionnaire and a glass of wine. Each presents the officers with a creative submission, which in the past has included everything from Spam bombs to Elvis shrines. "They try to find out what you think," College sophomore Margaret Karnaze said of her interview experience. "They don't have a strict set of questions. Basically, they question and respond to what you say. I felt there was a lack of intellectual atmosphere at Penn, and that is what brought me to Philo. I had a good time." Huang added, "my advice to people out there is to check out our Web site, e-mail the society and most importantly, come to the meetings and find out what Philo is all about."