Shaw Middle School social studies teacher Leroy Womack also became an ordained minister last year. The Community Times To see Shaw Middle School teacher Leroy Womack in the classroom is to get only half the picture -- you have to see him at work in front of a church congregation as well. Mr. Womack has been teaching at Shaw for three years and says that he enjoys teaching "very much." But he leads somewhat of a double life. Last year, he also became an ordained minister. He really gets into his sermons. "When I preach, I can go on forever," he said. Mr. Womack uses his skills as a minister to get his students' attention in class. For example, when he is trying to teach a daily lesson and some of the students, especially the boys, in class are talking, Mr. Womack starts talking in a deep voice -- just like a preacher. If Shaw ever forced Mr. Womack to choose between teaching and preaching, he said he would opt for preaching -- not because he likes that profession better than teaching, but because he actually thinks the two activities are very similar. The only difference is, as a preacher, he would teach religion instead of social studies, Mr. Womack said. Mr. Womack added that he likes everything about his teaching job, but noted, "I like the children most of all." His favorite thing about teaching, he said, is "seeing children really learn and get excited about learning." Mr. Womack said that sometimes "it's hard working two jobs," but his students would likely be very disappointed if he quit teaching. "Mr. Womack is the greatest social studies teacher in the whole wide world because he is funny and he's a complete gentleman," said Jamilla Deloatch, one of his students. Mr. Womack said if he were Shaw's principal, he would make the students complete their entire academic day before lunch and leave the rest of the day for special activities such as peer mediation, choir and clubs. And Mr. Womack said that if he weren't a teacher, he would like to be a scientist. He said that no one inspired him to become a teacher, he just wanted to be one. Many of Mr. Womack's students feel that Mr. Womack is one of Shaw's best social studies teachers -- partly because he can combine the two activities he loves the most.