Stratis Skoufalos replaces Chris Algard, who was moved to another post. The fact that the Division of Public Safety misspelled Stratis Skoufalos' name on his office door doesn't mean that officials hold the new director of security services in anything other than the highest regard. In fact, hiring Skoufalos was "an easy decision," Managing Director of Public Safety Tom Seamon said. "He had the skills, the varied background and the people at Penn were already familiar with him." Skoufalos, 51, began his duties December 17. In his new position, he will supervise Spectaguard and the non-police security in residential and other campus buildings. Also, he will oversee the purchase and installation of all new security technology. The appointment of Skoufalos, a 24-year Philadelphia Police veteran who most recently worked as an independent security consultant, amounts to a demotion for his predecessor, Chris Algard, who now serves in the new position of associate director of security services. "Chris is a wonderful technician.? [But] what I wanted was someone who could handle complex planning," Seamon said. He refused to elaborate on the reasons behind Algard's transfer. Seamon said Skoufalos and Algard will work as a team to implement the University's security initiatives, such as installing about 60 new blue-light emergency telephones, upgrading security in on-campus buildings and finishing a communications center in the new Public Safety headquarters at 4040 Chestnut Street. "With Stratis' management background and Chris' technology background both [the police and security departments] benefit," Director of Police Operations Maureen Rush said. She described Skoufalos as a "great communicator." Before joining the University, Skoufalos consulted on training issues for the University Police, as well as with developing the safety ambassador program for the recently-created University City District. Skoufalos also worked in a variety of jobs during his 24 years in the Philadelphia Police Department, including posts as executive assistant to the deputy commissioner for administration. After leaving the police department in 1995, he served as the security director at Widener University in Chester, Pa., for 1 1/2 years. Skoufalos said yesterday that his goal is to work with University and Philadelphia police, Penn's Division of Facilities Management, students and the administration to make "every building and every student on this campus better protected." He also identified improving the relationship between the different security personnel -- such as Spectaguard security guards and University Police officers --Eas one of his top priorities. Skoufalos will also oversee the purchase of new security technology for the University. In the fall of 1996, the University signed a $3 million agreement with Sensormatic Electronics Corp. to purchase equipment, such as cameras and hand scanners, from the Boca Raton, Fla.-based company. He said he is currently exploring whether to buy hand and eye scanners, known as biometric devices. "We're studying the feasibility of it," Skoufalos said. "We think the technology is heading in that direction." But Skoufalos said he does not believe technology alone is a solution for security problems. "My goal is to use technology coupled with real people," he said. Prior to his police work, Skoufalos earned his bachelor's degree at La Salle University and a graduate degree at Temple University.