The corner of 12th and Market streets just got a little more crowded. The long-awaited Philadelphia branch of the 27-year-old Hard Rock Cafe chain -- one of the most well-known restaurant franchises in the world -- celebrated its opening day Friday, and the two-hour wait to get in is causing lines that extend far beyond the restaurant's doors. Restaurant officials said business is "tremendous" at the new location, the company's 86th branch. Bob Dylan's Harley Davidson sits behind the brass and dark-toned wooden bar. Elton John's white sequined outfit hangs on a wall. But the early favorite of most customers is Madonna's black leather bustier with scattered silver zippers. With Philadelphia's claim as one of the birthplaces of rock 'n' roll, many view the 1998 opening of the restaurant as long overdue. "Rock 'n' roll has always been part of Philadelphia's heritage, so opening up here is the right thing to do," said Matt Musmammo, the general manager of the Philadelphia branch. City leaders and officials said the Hard Rock Cafe, which is open daily until 2 a.m., represents a new wave of retail investments in Philadelphia. "I think the opening of Hard Rock is a really positive sign of entertainment-oriented retail happening east of Broad Street," said Paul Levy, executive director of the Center City District, a quasi-governmental group that provides services such as cleaning and security. He added that the restaurant "will also add a significant amount of night life and keep the streets safer." The first Hard Rock Cafe opened in 1971 in London, when its founders decided to bring American food to England. The restaurant has since grown from that one small cafe into an empire boasting locations in more than 80 cities worldwide. Food is a secondary attraction at the restaurant. The most popular menu item, Musmammo said, is the pig sandwich, which contains meat derived from pig shoulder. In addition, the restaurant features the Philly cheesesteak as a hometown special.