The funding amount for the state's only veterinary school increased by more than 50 percent from the last fiscal year. Just what exactly is the purpose of "general-instruction" funding? In meetings with penny-pinching state legislators in recent years, University President Judith Rodin couldn't justify the millions of dollars in state funds the University was receiving annually, prompting the legislature to eliminate the money altogether. But Rodin did convince the legislature to boost funding for the School of Veterinary Medicine for the fiscal year that began July 1 to $30.5 million -- an increase of almost 50 percent -- keeping the state's total contributions to the University at about $35.5 million. University administrators said they are pleased the state legislature recognizes the value of the only veterinary school in Pennsylvania, a program which consistently ranks as one of the best in the country. Penn's Vet School placed third in this year's U.S. News & World Report rankings, coming in behind schools at the University of California at Davis and Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y. "The reason we get money from the state is because agriculture is the leading industry in the state," Vet School Associate Director of Administration Barry Stupine said. "[Legislators] have finally recognized that they can't exist without a good vet school." The University submitted its 1998-99 budget proposal September 24, asking the state for $36.9 million in funding, including $31.4 million for the Vet School. Vet School administrators insist that the school's fiscal problems from earlier in the decade will remain a thing of the past, adding that the $30.5 million budgeted for the Vet School in 1997-98 -- more than double the amount it received three years ago -- will only increase slightly in future years. The state funds, which now cover about 43 percent of the Vet School's budget, go toward reducing tuition for Pennsylvania residents by at least $4,500, renovating buildings on its New Bolton Campus in Kennett Square, Pa., and supporting several research initiatives. The increased funding comes just one year after Gov. Tom Ridge (R) threatened to eliminate the state's contributions to the University within two years. But Ridge has since come to see the Vet School as an important asset to the region and the state, according to University Vice President for Government, Community and Public Affairs Carol Scheman. "I think that there's a great affection in the legislature for the University of Pennsylvania," Scheman said. She added that Rodin and Ridge "have been working closely on issues of regional economic development and innovation." Support from key legislators, including House Speaker Matthew Ryan (R-Delaware County) and Sen. Vincent Fumo (D-Philadelphia), the minority chairperson of the Appropriations Committee, has been critical to maintaining University funding. "Senator Fumo has led the fight on several occasions when governors have proposed budgets that cut Penn's funding," said Fumo spokesperson Gary Tuma. Of the remaining $5 million in fiscal 1998 appropriations, about $4 million goes to the Medical School. The Dental School receives the final $938,000. Those are standard appropriations for all statewide medical and dental schools, based on their student population and other factors, Scheman said. This is the first year that Ridge, who was elected in 1994, included University funding in his annual February budget proposal, according to Stupine. Officials hope that the added funding makes Penn's Vet School a more attractive choice for Pennsylvania residents. In 1996-97, about one-third of in-state residents accepted by the school opted for other institutions, where the tuition for out-of-state residents averages about $17,000. At $22,230 a year, the Vet School isn't cheap, even for Pennsylvania residents. But that's about 15 percent less than what out-of-state residents pay. In addition, the school offers 15 scholarships, worth $5,000 apiece, to its top in-state students. Approximately 430 students are currently enrolled in the Vet School.