College seniors Rachel Goldberg, Mike Goldstein, Kate Lester and Adam Petrick have set their sights on Broadway rather than Wall Street. Following graduation, the four Theater Arts majors will embark on a project to set the foundations for a Philadelphia-based theater production company. "I just thought it was time to get involved in Philadelphia's growing movement in the arts," Petrick said. "Mayor [Ed] Rendell is really trying to revitalize the artistic community in Philly." And although Lester and Petrick have made other commitments for the fall, they hope to accomplish enough over the summer to get the company off the ground. Building on the experience of directing plays at Penn, the group plans to put on four productions over the course of the summer. Each member will direct one play, in addition to acting and doing technical work for the other productions. Since the group members do not have their own theater, they will use small spaces around Center City, like coffee houses or their apartments. Goldstein, who lives in the old gym of now defunct all-girls school, said his apartment inspired a script of its own. "I decided my apartment was the perfect setting for a really human play," he said. Despite a common love of theater, the four students' interests range from classical to modern to performance art. "The unique thing about our group is that we really do cover a lot of different genres," Petrick said. Goldstein added that his summer production is "going to be about exploring plays with small settings, small budgets -- viable theater, but not from a conventional standpoint." Goldberg, however, said she aims to "alienate and shock people" with her play. Still, the group members believe their working relationship will be successful because they have tremendous respect for each other's work. "I'm going to do my art, but then I'm also going to do everything in my power to see that my friends are successful with theirs," Goldberg said. The graduating seniors attributed their confidence to the Theater Arts program and extracurricular theater experiences at the University. "I think that everything I know I've learned at Penn," Goldberg said. "At first it was difficult because Penn makes theater very academic -- but now I feel lucky to have been a part of such a wonderful program." Petrick said he was originally inspired by New York's off-off Broadway theater movement. "But our experiences in the theater community at Penn have given us ideas of how we would want to do things differently or better if we were running things," he added. Goldstein agreed that being out of the New York theater scene allowed a different perspective. "A lot of people complain about the lack of creativity at this place," he said. "But, I learned that there are really outlets for everything and that there's plenty going on artistically if you want to be involved." Although the four students said they know how challenging the theater world can be, they are approaching their creative dream from a practical standpoint. In the fall, Lester will attend Trinity Rep Conservatory in Providence, R.I., to pursue a Masters of Fine Arts degree. Petrick will teach in Yardley, Pa., although he hopes to continue to work with the production company part time. But they all feel that starting the company will be a good transition into the "real world." "It gives us a space when we can go back over everything we've learned," Lester said. "It will be something to focus on during what can often be a vague and scary time in our lives." While Penn has taught him what it means to have to pay your bills, Goldstein is in no rush to take a high paying job immediately after graduation. Goldberg agreed that she appreciates the chance to devote her energy to just theater. "I know I can get a good job doing research with benefits, or go to grad school, but I don't want to be a slave to anyone else just yet," she said.