The Penn women's lacrosse team controlled much of the first half, but was outscroed 6-2 in the second frame. A 10-4 defeat by highly regarded Loyola was not shocking to Penn's women's lacrosse team, but their domination of the first half was a pleasant surprise last night at Franklin Field. Although the score was tied at two at the end of the first half, Penn dominated almost the entire session. Loyola co-captain Michelle Meyer, with an assist by Erin Wylde, made the first goal of the half. Rather than letting down their guard, the Quakers charged back. Only 40 seconds later, Penn junior Jamie Schemberg tied the score. The Quakers followed Schemberg's lead and poured on the pressure. Cutting picked up on the offense and passes were made more quickly. Six minutes later, Penn junior Sue Pierce scored the second goal and gave her team a one-goal lead, 2-1. Overwhelmed and relieved, the Red and Blue settled down for a few minutes. They were in control of the offense until Loyola made a fast break. For an entire minute, the Greyhounds (2-0) swarmed around the goal searching for the opportune moment to shoot. The pressure allowed Penn's sophomore goalie Sue Back to shine. Although she had to leave the safety of the cage numerous times, Back managed to make three consecutive saves and rescued herself with a pass to tri-captain Amy Tarr. Tarr had a fast break and led her team back to offense. Although the Greyhounds intercepted and returned to the other end of the field, it was not long before the Quakers were back on offense. After some unsuccessful shots on goal, the Quakers lost control once again. But the goalie was back to save the day. With three more saves within four minutes, the junior could not be stopped. That is, until the last 90 seconds of the game when Loyola's Emily Franey, with an assist by Meyer, equalized. Despite the surprisingly close first half, the Greyhounds overwhelmed the Quakers during the second half. After less than two minutes were underway in the second session, Loyola's Allison Valentino assisted Kerri Johnson's goal. Within the next three minutes, Johnson scored again, and Meyer had the assist. When Greyhound Robyn Disney made yet another goal, Penn coach Sage called a time-out. Immediately after the draw and initial pass, Penn's Pierce scored her second goal. Her efforts were to no avail, however. The Greyhounds dominated the next 10 minutes of the game and chalked up four goals. The Quakers came back with five minutes left and freshman Brooke Jenkins, with a second assist by Chen, scored their final goal. Loyola led to the end, with a Meyer-Valentino goal-assist combination in the last second of the game. If the Greyhounds were underestimating Penn, they realized their error by the end of the first half. Loyola's misjudgment, however, was the Quakers' gain. In the first half, Penn worked as a team and gained confidence which will help them when they play lesser competition.