During his visits to the University, Board of Trustees Chairperson Roy Vagelos periodically walks by the half-finished Institute for Advanced Science and Technology at 34th Street and Smith Walk. "It's coming up fast," Vagelos said of the building for which he and his wife, Diana, donated $10 million in 1995. Since taking the Board's helm two years ago, Vagelos has devoted most of his efforts to scientific research at the University. But the former Merck & Co. chief executive officer's concerns are not limited to research. "He's taken an enormous interest in the various departments around the University and has actively visited with the students," University President Judith Rodin said. Most recently, Vagelos has turned his attention to fund raising for student financial aid. The University is currently working to build an endowment to support its financial aid needs. Rodin said she is pleased Vagelos will lead the effort to obtain donations for this endowment. Vagelos is also focusing his time on security issues, noting that University officials must continue working on the problem until students feel safe. "[A special services district] is the answer, but that is only the beginning of the answer," Vagelos said. He added that the University should play a role in developing better housing, improved retail services and good high schools in West Philadelphia to attract faculty to live in the area. "There is no limitation in what we can do," Vagelos said. But he admitted that long-term safety initiatives will cost the University a large sum of money, although he would not specify how much. Vagelos indicated that the Agenda for Excellence strategic plan also requires significant funding -- similar to that raised by the University's $1.4 billion Campaign for Penn fund raising effort in 1994. The Trustees spent an entire day behind closed doors in October discussing the Agenda for Excellence. Under the plan, Vagelos said he hopes to see another research building -- which he called "IAST II" -- constructed. The Trustees must first develop funding priorities within the Agenda for Excellence, Vagelos said. One problem he said requires immediate attention is the School of Arts and Sciences's $2 million operating budget deficit. But Vagelos emphasized that he won't be actively involved in balancing SAS's budget and similar issues, since he views his role as primarily an advisory one. "Running the University is a president's job," Vagelos said. The involvement of any board of trustees varies from school to school. "Our responsibility is to review, advise and accept the proposals made by the administration," Vagelos said. Rodin said she talks regularly with Vagelos and welcomes the his input on all University issues. "It's very important, I think, that we have two voices really commenting on the strategic needs of the University," Rodin said. Board of Trustees Vice Chairperson Gloria Chisum said Vagelos accurately understands the role that the group plays on campus. "The separation between the active management and the oversight roles is rigorously observed," Chisum said. Chisum added that Vagelos has encouraged Trustees to increase their contact with the University. In devoting a significant amount of time to his chairperson activities, Vagelos visits the University at least once a week and rents an apartment in the area. "He's become extremely knowledgeable about the University and its people," said University Secretary Barbara Stevens, who serves as the liaison between the Trustees and the rest of the University. Stevens said Vagelos spends a large amount of time meeting with administrators, as well as individual department chairs, faculty and students. Vagelos took over the chairmanship after former Board of Trustees Chairperson Alvin Shoemaker stepped down in 1994. Vagelos had served as a Term Trustee since 1988. Chisum said although Vagelos and Shoemaker have different methods, they have both dealt effectively with issues facing the University. "It's a matter of style and background in terms of the way their functions are carried out," Chisum said. After his graduation from the University in 1950, Vagelos served as a biochemist and enzymologist at the National Institutes of Health and at Washington University in St. Louis. In 1975, Vagelos became head of research at pharmaceutical giant Merck & Co., eventually heading up the company. He retired from Merck in 1994. "Dr. Vagelos's training as a scientist makes him able to appreciate in a very direct way what our faculty does not only in science but all scholarly research, and it's in that role in particular that he brings some very unique strengths to his chairmanship," Rodin said. Vagelos also draws on his Merck experience as the chairperson of Regeneron -- a company that researches new treatments for neurodegenerative diseases. The company has approximately 200 employees and is currently working on a treatment for Lou Gehrig's disease. Vagelos and his wife are helping to raise $180 million for the development of a performing arts center in Newark, N.J. The structure has been completed, and the first performances are scheduled for next October. "It will be like Lincoln Center [in New York City] ultimately," Vagelos said. The center will also teach children about theater, dance and music, Vagelos said. When he's not at the University, running a research company or raising money for a performing arts complex, Vagelos, who is retired, said he does find time to relax -- jogging almost every other day and swimming during the summer.