Every tenant in a dispute with a landlord ultimately fears one thing -- an eviction notice. Just ask Wharton junior Margaret Young, who last year had to contact a lawyer after receiving a notice of eviction from her landlord. Fortunately, very few students end up on the street or in court, according to Off-Campus Living Assistant Director Mihaela Farcas. But she added that the possibility exists. "If you do not pay rent, the landlord can sue you," said Farcas. "And if you break the lease, then you should know you can lose the security deposit and are responsible for rent until a new tenant is found." In Young's case, her landlord did not uphold his obligations as stated in the lease and she and her housemates began to withhold rent payments. The two parties resolved the conflict, although not exactly amicably, Young said. According to Farcas, dispute over rent is only one of the reasons the relations between tenants and landlords can turn sour. Issues over maintenance, safety, garbage disposal and other specific clauses in the lease can also cause problems, Farcas said. Many students also have to confront their landlords over security deposit refunds. Security deposits are supposed to insure that tenants will take care of the property and pay their rent on time. "The most important thing in choosing a landlord is to be informed," Farcas said."Make sure about the area you want to be in, do some research to see which landlords have the better reputation, and lastly, look at the lease as well as the property." For many students, an annual "landlord survey" published by the Penn Consumer Board serves as a useful resource for researching the various landlords near the University and in Center City, said Farcas. But according to College junior Jeremy Lerman, contacting previous tenants is often the best way of determining whether the landlord is suitable. "Definitely talk to someone who was there before," said Lerman, who now uses a private landlord after renting through Campus Apartments last year. Lerman said the private landlord and commercial property manager differ in their treatment of the grounds. "Our landlord cares a lot about the house, so they respond pretty quickly when we need to reach them," said Lerman's roommate, Brett Pogany. But Pogany, a Wharton and Engineering junior, added that his current lease includes several restrictions, including the prohibition of large parties, nails in the walls and even cable television. "They're nice people, but they do have some overly cautious rules," said Pogany. According to Farcas, the distinctions between private and commercial landlords exist only on a case-by-case basis. Campus Apartments Property Manager David Adelman, who often deals with issues arising over the return of security deposits, said he thinks students often seem unaware of their obligations in the rental contract. "The problem I have is that people like the lease when it works for them, but not when we need it from our end," Adelman said. According to Adelman, about 85 percent of his tenants receive a full refund of their security deposit. For students who do run into problems with their rental property, Farcas cautioned that following proper procedure is important in making sure the rights of the tenant are protected. "If there is a problem, the lease states that you must report it immediately," Farcas said. She added that if the landlord does not respond in a timely fashion, the tenant should put the demand in the form of a certified letter, so that legal proof exists that the landlord received the tenant's request. "Students will have a problem for two months, and then want to break the lease, which is often very difficult," Farcas said.