The son of an Olympic silverThe son of an Olympic silvermedalist fencer, George KalmarThe son of an Olympic silvermedalist fencer, George Kalmaris one of the nation's best sabres George Kalmar wants the Ivy League championship; he's won everything else. "I no longer care about personal goals," Kalmar said, "just as long as the team does well." Kalmar began fencing when he was 11 years old, with his father doubling as his coach. At age 17, he had what he calls his best year. He was the 19-and-under national champion and placed 20th at the Junior World Championships. Kalmar's father, who won a silver medal fencing for Hungary in the 1968 Olympics, pushed George into fencing, even though he wasn't really interested in it. "I was an American kid," Kalmar said. "I wanted to play football, baseball, basketball. My father thought I would get something out of fencing that I wouldn't out of the other sports. "I never really had a passion for fencing, but somehow it got into me and it's a part of me now." In the past three NCAA championships, Kalmar has placed second, third and fifth, respectively. He feels that last year was his best overall year -- even though it was his lowest placing at the NCAAs -- since he only lost two bouts during the regular season. The low point of his college career came during his freshman year at the NCAAs. That year it was possible to win not only individual and team titles, but also weapons team titles. The Quakers sabre team had made it to the finals and faced their archrival, Columbia. Earlier this year, the same director approached Kalmar at a tournament and admitted he had probably made the wrong call on that particular touch. "That's the only thing that pisses me off about fencing," Kalmar said. "If you argue a call, even if you don't think you're right, you can get the director to throw the next questionable touch your way." Kalmar said the reputation of his father helped him earn his own reputation as a great fencer. "Everyone knew my father, and he was the master of acting," Kalmar said. "And now every once in awhile the directors will throw me a touch because they think I'm better." According to Penn coach Dave Micahnik, Kalmar's greatest effect on Penn's team is that he establishes an attitude, both for the Quakers and their opponents. "You put him out on the stripe first, and you know he's going to win," Micahnik said. "Your opponent knows he can't win, and it demoralizes his entire team." As to Kalmar's influence on the younger Penn fencers, Michanik said: "Sometimes he beats up on them, and none too gently. But it's sort of like a big brother." Kalmar, who feels he's more notorious than famous in the fencing world said, "I like to make things fun, see how far I can push the limits." Micahnik agreed. "Sometimes George is contrary just for the heck of it. It doesn't bother me." Kalmar attempts to use his reputation to intimidate his opponents. "Occasionally, on one touch I'll hit them really hard just to remind them of who I am." According to Kalmar, he was a better overall fencer when he was younger than he is now. "I got out of shape, I used to run in the mornings and practice all the time," he said. "I guess college took a toll on my fencing career." Looking back, Kalmar is glad his father pushed him into the world of fencing. "I did get something out of it," he said. "I got into college, and I was the best."