Claims teen tried to extort $10,000 Marketing Professor Scott Ward testified in his own defense yesterday, saying that he never had sexual contact with "B.M.," the teenage boy who has charged that Ward paid him for oral sex. Responding to lead attorney Jean Green's direct questioning, Ward turned toward the jury and said in an emphatic voice, "I never had sex with [B.M.]" and "I never touched [B.M.] in an improper way." Ward testified that B.M. tried to extort money from him on January 30, 1993, after the professor had been arrested. "[B.M.] said, 'Look, I want $10,000, and I'll tell the truth," Ward said. "I was stunned, but quite frankly, I was not surprised." He said that during a different phone conversation, B.M. said, "Why can't we settle this like the Michael Jackson thing in California?" During Montgomery County Deputy District Attorney Mark Miller's cross examination, Ward attributed much of the homoerotic pornography seized from his home in 1993 to the fact that an openly gay couple lived in his residence before he moved there. He also insisted that in addition to the gay pornographic images police found on his computer, there were also heterosexual pornographic pictures. During Green's questioning, Ward testified that he was introduced to B.M. by a guidance counselor at Sleighton, the reform school he attended. B.M. testified on Tuesday that he first became acquainted with Ward when the professor solicited him as a prostitute. Ward said he first brought B.M. to his Ardmore home for the winter holidays in 1990 at B.M.'s request. "He didn't want to be alone for Christmas," Ward said, adding that he gave him clothes and a clock radio as gifts. Ward testified that he took B.M. from the Sleighton School to medical and dental appointments on several occasions. He also said B.M. stayed in his home for a two-day period during which the teen was administered a variety of tests -- including an IQ test that showed B.M. was "mildly retarded." "I'm guessing [B.M.] visited my home many times," Ward said, adding that he was not always at home during B.M.'s visits. Miller also cross-examined Shawn Scanlon yesterday, the 27-year-old who moved in with Ward while he was in eighth grade. Scanlon said Ward took pictures of him when he was naked in the shower and on the beach, and while urinating into a stream. Scanlon also testified that six boys, all between the ages of 13 and 15, lived in Ward's home while he was there. He added that other people, including a family of five, lived in the house from time to time. Recalling earlier testimony before a grand jury, Scanlon reiterated that Ward has not sustained a relationship with a woman in 15 years. Green attempted to establish Ward as a child philanthropist in his questioning of the professor. During his direct questioning, Ward testified that he first decided to volunteer his time to improving underprivileged adolescents' lives while he was an assistant professor at Harvard University. Ward also claimed to have been a member of the board of directors of Adolescent Counseling and Development between 1974 and 1978. But in response to Miller's questioning, Ward was unable to name any other members of the organization's board of directors -- other than Jack Sarmanian, who Ward claimed first invited him to serve on the board. Green also asked Ward about the Rebound Foundation, an organization Ward has claimed he founded to assist troubled youths. "The inspiration for [the foundation] came from a young man who dropped out of school," and was still able to flourish in society, Ward said. "I'd never seen a rebound like it." Miller cast doubt on the validity of the Rebound Foundation. During his cross examination, Ward admitted that Rebound's board of directors consisted of only two people -- one of whom was Graduate School of Education Professor Charles Dwyer. But Dwyer, who also testified yesterday, said Ward only discussed matters pertaining to the Rebound Foundation once in a two-and-a-half year time frame. Ward explained that Rebound never held any formal meetings, relying instead on phone conversations. Miller also questioned Ward about why he had initially told a social worker that Rebound was only interested in assisting white male adolescents. Ward responded that this was only the case before he decided to outreach to West Philadelphia youths. One of Ward's Ardmore neighbors also testified yesterday that Ward is very generous with his time and money and an upstanding member of the community. Ward has taken a voluntary leave of absence from his academic duties during his legal proceedings, according to Wharton spokesperson Chris Hardwick.