The intersection of 33rd and Walnut streets has been the site of several serious accidents involving pedestrians and vehicles this year. And now the University is taking some steps to make the controversial intersection safer. Victim Support and Special Services Director Maureen Rush said the University is working in conjunction with the Philadelphia Streets Department to increase the safety of the area. The changes to the intersection will include the addition of international signage, warning pedestrians of the dangers of the intersection. In addition, new speed limit signs will be installed and a no-turn-on-red sign will be set up in the near future. Rush added that she believes that University police will be using radar enforcement to potentially slow some of the speedy vehicles on Walnut Street. Some of these new precautions have already been implemented, while others will be put into effect during July and August, she said. An educational component is also part of a proactive plan to improve safety at the infamous intersection, Rush added. She said new employees and new students will be informed of the dangers surrounding crossing certain intersections around the University campus. College sophomore Jae Lee was hit by a car at 34th and Walnut streets November 7. He was in very serious condition at first, spending several weeks in the hospital, undergoing brain surgery, but has since recovered and returned to the University. Post-baccalaureate student Adam Zion was also seriously injured December 7 after being hit by two cars while crossing at the 33rd and Walnut intersection. Zion said he expected to be back to campus by the fall. "The best thing students can do is to cross at cross walks and always ensure that the cars are waiting for you to cross," University Police Commissioner John Kuprevich said at the time. " It is basically an awareness issue." Several posts made to the newsgroups upenn.safety and upenn.talk discuss the hazards of the intersection of 33rd and Walnut streets.