The oppressive heat wave that has swept the country, killing at least 670 nationwide, left its mark on the University in recent days -- especially for students, faculty and administrators suffering without air conditioning. Thirty people have died in Philadelphia in heat related incidents, according to the latest estimates. But the Philadelphia number is no comparison to the shocking Chicago figures, where the death toll climbed to 376 and was expected to exceed 400. On Saturday the temperature peaked at 103 degrees Fahrenheit in Philadelphia, although weather officials said it felt as if it were 129 degrees Fahrenheit with the humidity. And the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania's emergency room has had to deal firsthand with the victims of the first heat wave of the summer, one that is destined for the record books. HUP admitted four heat stroke patients since the beginning of the wave and one of the patients subsequently died, according to Susan Canning, administrator for emergency services at HUP. But Student Health did not see any heat related patients, Director of Student Health Services MarJeanne Collins said. She said that the heat primarily effects older people over the age of 60 and very young children, under the age of two. The primary symptoms of heat stroke are a body temperature of 106 degrees Fahrenheit, and "confused, lethargic" behavior caused by malfunctions of the greater central nervous system. Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine Suzanne Shepherd if an individual is excessively thirsty, irritable or has a headache he or she should visit Student Health or the emergency room of HUP if necessary. Shepherd attributed the high mortality rates to the high humidity and to the fact that the heat wave was the first to hit this summer. She said the first heat waves usually cause the most damage because people are not expecting them and are not prepared. "It is not surprising, that the first heat wave of the summer would be the one that did this," Shepherd said. She added that with high humidity the risk of significant heat illness is greater. Humidity blocks the normal mechanism the body uses to get rid of heat. Shepherd cautioned against heavy physical activity, stressing that students must still take certain precautions so they do not become victims of heat stroke. "If you exercise, do it early in the morning," Collins said. "Don't run without water." Most important in extreme heat, Collins said, was keeping the body hydrated. She added that and other juices were good sources of hydration. Caffeine drinks and alcoholic beverages should be highly avoided, she advised. As far as keeping cool, Collins said that people should not take cold showers, but rather tepid showers. Shepherd also said that some medications can lead to heat stroke. Certain medications decrease the ability of the body to get rid of heat and some drugs block the perception that the body is getting hot. Some psychiatric medications, antihistamines and narcotics like cocaine and pcp are examples of medications that react adversely to extreme heat. And earing the proper clothing, cotton preferably, is another measure that can be taken to reduce the risk of heat stroke, Shepherd said. She also suggested that people were sunblock to prevent over-exposure to the sun and skin diseases.